587,974 active members*
4,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G8688 mini lathe soft jaws

I don't know if soft jaws even exist for this lathe, but I was doing some searching around and could not find anything.

So, I figured I would attempt to make my own soft jaws.

How? Well, here's what I was thinking about doing...

The jaws on my 4" chuck aren't exactly running true. I have contacted LMS and requested a replacement, but that's still not good enough for me. I want to make sure that my jaws are running as true as possible to my lathe. I was planning on taking some scrap aluminum I had laying around and making my own soft jaws to fit my chuck. The original jaws on the chuck do have enough room for a couple of holes to be drilled and tapped for two bolts. All I really have to do is take some measurements on the original jaws so that the aluminum jaws fit the "steps" in the original jaws. After the aluminum jaws have been measured and milled at an angle, I can take them to the lathe, attach them and cut them to have a small curvature to clamp them to work pieces. I can also cut outside jaws on them as well if I wanted to use them for pipes.

Has anyone else attempted this? I figured this would be a good "starter" project for me. I just have to make sure that the holes I drill don't go too far. The only problem I may face is that the original jaws are made from harder material and I may have some problems drilling into them. I haven't attempted this yet, but I don't see too many issues, unless I am overlooking something obvious...

I don't think you going to be able to drill and tap the jaws. Unless you found somebody to EDM some holes and braise in some soft plugs

Quote Originally Posted by dick cnc View Post
    I don't think you going to be able to drill and tap the jaws. Unless you found somebody to EDM some holes and braise in some soft plugs
    Yes, I might have some trouble with that. We'll see. I'm not confident I'll be able to drill and tap the holes, but there's no harm in trying. I can always order a new set of jaws. I'll be out $50, but what the hell. If it works out, then I'll have something to show everyone.

Or you could use a tool post grinder to true the jaws.

If the jaws are as hard as the jaws on my lathe the only way to thread the holes will be using EDM (circular interpolate using a threaded graphite electrode).
    However, a couple years ago, I bought a new T.O.S. 4" chuck from KBC that has 2-piece jaws that will allow me to attach soft jaws... I may have bought the last one though...
    Attachment 213764