587,112 active members*
4,891 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Galil + Yasakawa 626VM3 Spindle controller

Hello, I have a Republic Lagun VMC 4824 that is 13 years old.

We were having problems with the old Vickers A2100 controller so we decided to do a retrofit. We have been working on this fit for 10months now. I have everything running good except the spindle. It is a Yasakawa 626VM3, and is a great spindle, the only problem is, is that it is a velocity type drive. It does have an encoder, the machine was able to do ridged tapping before. Galil hates velocity type drives, believe me I had to replace the old servo amps with Advanced Motion Control drives so Galil could control the PID's.

Anyway I have been fiddling with the spindle for a few days now and can't seem to get a handle on it. I have wired the RDY to the amp enable on the Galil, so Galil can turn the spindle off with the MO command. I have GalilTools, and have adjusted the drive to hold position good when not commanded to move (within the Yasakawa parameters). I then set a JG of 4096 (the counts for one rev on the encoder) and adjust the FV tell I get my position error down. I then add a little KP, around .5. I get OK movment out of the spindle, but the faster I command it the worst the position error gets. And when I command an ST (stop) it osolates(sp) a bit then stops.

If anyone has had to configure this type of drives in a retrofit, please let me know what you came up with. I know there are a lot of parameters in the Yasakawa that can be adjusted, I just need to know which ones to try.

Thanks,

Aero

Did you experiment with the different type of modes etc?
    Also from the manual table 4.9 shows you can configure SV servo mode input for rigid tapping?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.