587,216 active members*
2,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko 540 Random Fault

Gecko 540 Random Fault

I have an interesting issue with my Gecko 540. I've been cutting a lot. A lot. No issues. Well, since I re-tuned my machine to run a bit slower and increased the latency in LinuxCNC. Until yesterday. It would get about 1/3rd of the way through the cut and then the entire machine would stop (save the router, which is manually controlled). The red fault light was on on the Gecko 540, meanwhile LinuxCNC was still outputting G-code, thinking the machine was running. I re-zeroed and tried the cut 4 more times, all with effectively the same problem, fault. The first two cuts (same g-code) went flawlessly. Hitting the e-stop button and re-setting clears the fault on the G540. I can jog the machine through the area of the fault and not have a problem. Wiggling wires shows nothing.

Setup is:

Gecko 540 Rev. 8
    EZ connectors: EZ-G540 - Set of 4 - Soigeneris.com
    HobbyCNC #23-130-DS8 stepper motors (Stepper Motors | HobbyCNC)
    Dual core 2, 2.4ghz, 4gb of Ram, LinuxCNC v2.5, EPP enabled in bios.
    Charge pump enabled.

Thoughts?

Re: Gecko 540 Random Fault

Do you have linux cnc set up correctly to estop, when the 540's estop line is triggered? if so, I would call the company and get it replaced.. that sounds like a software bug.

Linux cnc is free and open source. You may get some help fixing a software bug but there's no one to call for a replacement of a free program.

Ben

if its setup properly, its either a software or a hardware bug in the g540. if you trigger the estop on the g540, it should trigger the computer.. if it does, then its setup properly.
    but if the g540 just randomly stops but doesn't trigger the estop, then again the fault is in the 540.. or the cabling.. or the computer

Temporarily replace your E-stop switch with a wire jumper at the G540 and see if cures the problem. If it does then you have a bad switch and/wiring to the switch. Also jiggle the motor wires at the motor and G540 ends; see if that provokes a fault. If it does, inspect every motor wire connection at both ends. You may have a loose connection shorting to an adjacent motor wire and tripping the short circuit protection. The G540 is too dumb to have software so that cause can be dismissed.

Thanks for the advice guys. Right now, triggering the e-stop on the Gecko 540 isn't triggering the LinuxCNC software stop, so I need to check my pin configurations and confirm that can be setup. The LinuxCNC team is very response and would fix the issue if there is a bug there, but I suspect there isn't (just user error).

Mariss, fantastic advice, I'll give that a try tonight, will post back results shortly.

Did some experimenting and more cutting last night. I think I found the issue, it's not the e-stop (replaced with a wire bridge, fault still occurred),or the motor wiring. I think it's static buildup. The problem started happening when I was cutting large (30" x 18" x 1") blocks of foam, and usually only after an hour or so of cutting and a significant amount of dust buildup on the z-axis (even with dust collection). What really got me thinking is I noticed static arcing between the router mounting plate and the z-axis leadscrew when cutting 0.5" of foam, which can't be good (likely going right up into the z-axis stepper motor!). I also induced the fault by running without dust collection and then turning it on mid way through the cut with a significant amount of dust buildup.