588,209 active members*
4,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Geckodrive Changes and New Products for 2011
Page 2 of 2 12
    asuratman,

We are working on the pricing for the current motor we sell and all future motors.

Marcus

While mach might be constrained, EMC2 uses a PWM signal for servo drives, and the step generator was an add on. I think EMC2 might be able to handle communication much sooner than Mach will, if it isn't a proprietary motion code that is being used by the GM series. Even then, I can see EMC2 being capable.

Marcus or Mariss - Would one of you let me know if the new system will be similar to what I have shown in the sketch? I'm making plans to update one of my machines (a desk top mill) and want to wait if the your new system is going to be similar to the sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
    I have been following this thread and also the other thread regarding this new product line and wonder if this drawing is a fair representation of what's coming...

See also: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...uff_chute.html

Quote Originally Posted by CoAMarcus View Post
    We agree on this and follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" train of thought. We will still manufacture the G201X, G203V and G205X for step and direction applications; the older drives (G320, G201, G202) will go the way of the dinosaur because of the 4000 series logic ICs no longer being produced. We will still manufacture our newer drives that use step and direction as long as people still want to buy it.

GeckoMotion will be the software we are developing and will be the one that the GM drives are tested with. If Mach3 issues an update that goes through RS485 that would be great, but it is not something we are actively pursuing at the moment.

USB is great just because of how common it is, but there are a whole slew of problems that go along with it when it comes to making motion control work. We did it with the G100, but it is not the most efficient way of doing things. The maximum cable length before signals begin to be affected by noise on USB is 16 feet; I never knew what a pain cable lengths were until we set up our test bed CNC machine with a 6 foot parallel cable. RS485 can be extremely long and brings along the option to daisy chain, which is a great addition in the practicality department.

Marcus
    Marcus how will your GeckoMotion software receive motion commands,will it be through g-code or will there be other options. I will have some controller needs in the future which I would like to give simple velocity & direction and also cyclic motion and would like an easy user interface to input. I don't really have any programming skills and would rather not spend time learning at this point, so ease of use is paramount to me.

Moving away from both the LPT and USB and going for RS485 is a welcome approach!

RS485 still opens up opportunities, as it's a relatively simple and well established communications standard. It would definitely be good if Mach3 supports it. I'm quite keen to here more about it.

You can get RS 485 PCI-e expantion cards for PC. Will these cards work with this product ? If the cards will work any computor can have this interface. A good card is around $150.00 so its cheaper than buying a new comp.

This sounds like a very good way to go, and it should make the home mill a better machine. I am all for that myself.

Jess

Page 2 of 2 12