588,248 active members*
4,066 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > general ballscrew diameter for benchtop mills

general ballscrew diameter for benchtop mills

can anyone help me out with the "average" ballscrew diameter for benchtop mills such as the grizzly's, IH's, and rong fu's? or better yet if im going to buy a mill and then retrofit it by piecing together parts myself, what diameter ballscrews should i be looking at. im planning on buying an IH mill and retrofitting it for cnc in a couple of months when i get the money...and ive been looking around on ebay at some ballscrews but dont know how big/little is too big/little (diameter).

also anyone with an IH mill what length ballscrews should i use?

thanks for any help or answers,
    -rene

i'm going to use a 5/8 ballscrew on my first conversion. its the cheapest one available. on my IH conversion i haven't decided what i'm going to use yet but i think it will be bigger.

yeah im seeing some nice 3/4" that im thinking of using....im just wondering about clearance issues...grinding is not a problem to gain some extra clearance if posisble- i just wouldnt want to grind so much that it might make it significantly weaker structurally....