587,331 active members*
3,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

General flashcut questions

So I am looking at getting a Benchtop mill setup for cnc and I had a few questions and concerns about flashcut.

I am looking at 2 options for controls... first is EMC2 and second is flashcut.

Either way I am looking to go servos and in looking at my timeline flashcut my be a better solution.

I just had a few concerns/questions...

1. Response time... I put in a quote request 2 days ago and have not heard anything... what is the normal response time?

2. (this is one for the Flashcut guys) Why not have pricing on your web site? This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Why have a site with product listings if you are not going to bother having prices... in my purchasing pro vs con list this is in the con isle.

3. I was planning on mounting the 2500 cpr encoders directly to the ball screws and using a belt drive for the servos... is this a problem in the flashcut software?
    I got a really good deal on brand new nsk 25mm C5 ballscrews but they have a 10mm pitch.

Richard

EDT: oh yea...

4. is the FC control software touchscreen friendly?

Answers
    1. call them it is the best way.
    2. I feel the same as you do about the prices.
    3. should not be a problem that is how my mill is set up.
    4. yes for the most part it is touch frindly, I only have issues when trying to close software.

So how much is a Flashcut?

I'm looking at the Mini 3000, but I haven't found any prices posted anywhere. I don't really want to call, just looking for a ballpark figure. $1000, $5000?

If you have bought a Flashcut please let me know how much it was (roughly) what model and what options you got.

Thanks!

They never sent me an email but I remember talking to them on the phone an I seem to recall that depending on which setup you wanted, it started in the $4k range.

Richard

EDT: I do remember asking them to send me an email quote and I don't think they ever did.

If you look around on their site, they do have references to the cost of their complete systems ("starting at"), but just grab the phone and give them a call. I've never had them use harsh tactics to push me into a sale if that happens to be your worry.

I believe it is difficult to publish prices for them because "sticker shock" is rather easy to get if a person does not really see the whole picture, especially a newcomer to the hobby. My point being, what really is the "price" of getting a machine completely wired, tuned and up and producing parts ? Certainly a lot more than "Free" (Emc). While there are some really inexpensive or free "controls", it is essentially just software...... all the rest is up to you.

Flashcut certainly could give those not completely familiar with what's necessary, that "sticker shock" because it is so much more than just "software". Not only is it a top of the line product when it comes to functionality and useability, I believe they bend over backwards to still offer it in minimal fashion where the end user sources motor and drive components, power supply, wire, jacks, plugs, relays and a cabinet to put them in > OR < All out, very complete plug and play packages that allow and end user to simply plug things in, match a few configuration settings to your machines hardware and your RUNNING.

That has a value for sure. I love Flashcut. I think it is the very best control in it's market segment. The lack of "support posts" in this forum is a testimony to the fact that they must be doing something very right. I think if you call for prices or support, you get immediate service... I've gotten it even AFTER hours I thought possible.
    Chris L

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    If you look around on their site, they do have references to the cost of their complete systems ("starting at"), but just grab the phone and give them a call. I've never had them use harsh tactics to push me into a sale if that happens to be your worry.

I believe it is difficult to publish prices for them because "sticker shock" is rather easy to get if a person does not really see the whole picture, especially a newcomer to the hobby. My point being, what really is the "price" of getting a machine completely wired, tuned and up and producing parts ? Certainly a lot more than "Free" (Emc). While there are some really inexpensive or free "controls", it is essentially just software...... all the rest is up to you.

Flashcut certainly could give those not completely familiar with what's necessary, that "sticker shock" because it is so much more than just "software". Not only is it a top of the line product when it comes to functionality and useability, I believe they bend over backwards to still offer it in minimal fashion where the end user sources motor and drive components, power supply, wire, jacks, plugs, relays and a cabinet to put them in > OR < All out, very complete plug and play packages that allow and end user to simply plug things in, match a few configuration settings to your machines hardware and your RUNNING.

That has a value for sure. I love Flashcut. I think it is the very best control in it's market segment. The lack of "support posts" in this forum is a testimony to the fact that they must be doing something very right. I think if you call for prices or support, you get immediate service... I've gotten it even AFTER hours I thought possible.
    If "sticker shock" is the reason for not posting prices.... then it is the worst possible reason ever.... lazy or just a bad site is better than "sticker shock"

If a company does not post prices on their website due to perceived "sticker shock" it means one of two things...

1. Their prices are too high for what they are offering and they know it

2. They can't articulate the value of their product.

#1 is just bad.

#2 can be resolved with proper and extensive information listed on their site. If they cant there are a number of consultants that can help with that.

As an example they can use tables to compare the cost of their product with the actual cost with other solutions (including time factors).

Keep in mind "value" doesn't always mean the cheapest.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    If "sticker shock" is the reason for not posting prices.... then it is the worst possible reason ever.... lazy or just a bad site is better than "sticker shock"

If a company does not post prices on their website due to perceived "sticker shock" it means one of two things...

1. Their prices are too high for what they are offering and they know it

2. They can't articulate the value of their product.

#1 is just bad.

#2 can be resolved with proper and extensive information listed on their site. If they cant there are a number of consultants that can help with that.

As an example they can use tables to compare the cost of their product with the actual cost with other solutions (including time factors).

Keep in mind "value" doesn't always mean the cheapest.

Richard
    I hear you Richard, and I really wasn't defending them for not showing prices. I just know that over the years, I worked for businesses that also chose not to publish pricing, and there were many varied reasons for doing it, some simply required by the business model the owner was working toward. When I just look at their site, it becomes obvious that there are an awful lot of options possible.... I know they have different driver options, "add-ons" like limit switch options and additional I/O components in what certainly appears to be more than one "system" you can configure. Maybe when you call them you can point these things out to them and get an answer of some sort ? I don't think your the first to point the issue out.

So far, I've primarily used just their software and signal generator and worked from there on. Much of what I have done were essentially retrofits.... More often than not I reused existing drives and motors. I have not had any drives that gave me trouble.... and I have connected to quite the variety so far !

I believe the retail on just the software and Signal Generator is still around the $1295 mark..... I don't think it has changed much over the years. The functionality of version 4 is well worth it. From there, I bet they "prefer" to get a little more info from the potential buyer in order to properly configure a driver cabinet and motors suited for the application in order to avoid the circumstance where people just click a buy button and end up undersized and suddenly in need of support time.

Have you spent any time with EMC2 over the years ? I was also interested, mostly because I have been spending a lot more time with Linux servers at work and MythTV at home. I did have an interesting discussion over in DIY-CNC a while back about specific differences / capabilities between the two and the other inexpensive control. There were a few things that raised my eyebrows in surprise that it did not function with the same ease as FC. None were deal breakers I guess..... I still want to play with it, but the only two "spare" old PC's laying around had trouble with getting it installed. I'll come across another old PC or two at some point and retry. I find it interesting to see what the real differences are between all these controls.
    Chris L

Thanks everyone,

I think I'm going to go with a HiTorque Mini Mill, can't decide if I want the tilting column or not 3900 v 3960 I think, both $800ish. I will probably choose the non tilting column for rigidity and reliability, then pick up a tilting vise (cant remember the tech name, something like index vise), for the one situation a year in which I had the tilting column. Its not a "made in USA" but at my price point with belt drive and a brushless motor, plus a Gecko, three Nema's and MACH3 I think I could easily get it all going in under a month with under $2,000 certainly the support team wouldn't have my back but wheres the fun in that! Haha... anyone try to convert a Hitorque Mini Mill (Dressed up SX2 I believe) without a ball screw kit like the ones cncfusion sells?

Sorry, can't help you with the mill questions..... If you ever decide to swap the mach for a better control (Flashcut), THAT I could help you with ! :-)

Good luck with your project !
    Chris L

Ballpark Pricing

Just recieved 2013 Grizzly Industrial catalog and was suprised to see a couple pages of Flashcut CNC Kits. Just passing on the info in case you were looking at pricing. Should give you an idea, keep in mind these would be coming through a middle man.

Grizzly online catalog pages:

Grizzly.com® -- Online Catalog

Grizzly.com® -- Online Catalog

I have two FlashCut systems, both work flawlessly and the support is excellent. I know there are many, many people using Mach3, but I have had nothing but trouble using it. I have tried using the Smoothstepper, different computers, etc. to run Mach3, no luck. Funny thing is FlashCut has run on the computers that I had trouble running Mach3 on. FlashCut is more expensive than Mach3, but in my case it was cheaper to get back to making parts.
    Mighty Viper VMC-950, Acromax MX-16, Bridgeport Boss 5, Tongil Panther ST-20, Bridgeport-Romi PowerPath 15, Lagun FTV-2, BobCAD V26,V25, Dolphin V13