588,063 active members*
5,129 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Getting ready to purchase a lathe...
Page 1 of 2 12

Getting ready to purchase a lathe...

I am wanting to purchase a lathe and I can't find and decent old iron around my area I can afford.

So I am thinking...G0602 or PM1030V

Any thoughts, or suggestions to help me figure out which to get.
    Donald

I would go with the G0602 as they appear to be very similar but the G0602 has the 1" spindle bore.

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

That is what I was thinking too. Then buying a HF 42" tool chest to put it on like others have. Just trying to make sure I get the best I can for what money I have. I would love to step up to a 12" but just can't get the funds.
    Donald

I too am looking to purchase a lathe. Do you know if the G0602 has power cross feed?

Thanks, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garyMc View Post
    I too am looking to purchase a lathe. Do you know if the G0602 has power cross feed?

Thanks, Gary
    No it does not. You might take a look at the PM1030, but you're looking at another $400-$600.

Thanks RTTIM. I've been looking at lathes for the past few days to the point I'm getting burned out. I think I am going to order the Bolton CQ9336. For 2295.00 and have a DRO installed. That is a great price for a 12x36 and it includes a stand and collant system. Shipping is $350.00. This is probably way too much lathe for me but after all my research this seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Haven't heard anything negative about them or their lathes and they were very helpful when I spoke with them on the phone.

Sorry dneisler for hijacking your post.

Thanks, Gary

Thanks RTTIM. I've been looking at lathes for the past few days to the point I'm getting burned out. I think I am going to order the Bolton CQ9336. For 2295.00 and have a DRO installed. That is a great price for a 12x36 and it includes a stand and collant system. Shipping is $350.00. This is probably way too much lathe for me but after all my research this seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Haven't heard anything negative about them or their lathes and they were very helpful when I spoke with them on the phone.

Thanks, Gary
    Garry,

The Bolton lathe isn't really bang for your buck, even if only comparing it to smaller lathes - note that it has lots of "shortcomings" compared to other lathes. No 4 jaw chuck, no face plate, no steady or follow rest (all extra charge), no quick change threading gearbox and most other 12x36 lathes this size have a D1-4 spindle nose for easy chuck changes.
    Bolton get the low price by selling as extra all the pieces that are standard for everybody else and cutting a few corners (spindle nose and QC thread gearbox)

just keeping you informed...

Mike

Thanks, Gary
    Gary,

I understand your frustration. There are lots of possibilities out there, and Mike makes some good points.What are you going to use it for?

Tim

Thanks Mike. As Tim said, your points are valid. I have recently gotten into building small steam engines. I know I could do what I need to do with an 8x24 lathe but all people I have spoken with recommend I get nothing smaller than a 12x36. This is probably good advice.

I would have already placed an order for the Grizzly G4003G but they told me it would probably be sometime in Sept before I can get one. So I thought I would look around for other options. They have the G4003 in stock but for basically the same money you can get the G4003G, which has several improvements. At this point I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks,

Gary

I'm in Canada so my shopping choices are a bit limited but if your interested in 12x36 lathes have a look at my spreadsheet I did for my shopping purposes (you can also ignore the exchange rate although right now everything is almost par)

I hope it helps a bit with 12x36 lathe shopping - its not all inclusive as I dropped lathes that didn't meet my personal criteria of a D1-?? nose etc like the Bolton lathe.

(my apologies to dneisler for hijacking as this is a bit larger than he says he can afford)

I ended up ordering the PM1236 with preferred package as I wanted the foot brake. I'm still waiting to receive it (April sometime..)

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Mike, that really helps. Tomorrow I will order either the PM 1236 or the Grizzly G4003G.

Thanks, Gary

Hey, I can dream and maybe win the lottery :-)
    Donald

ive had my g0602 for over 3 years and im super happy with it. highly recommended.

Thanks Mike, that really helps. Tomorrow I will order either the PM 1236 or the Grizzly G4003G.

Thanks, Gary
    Gary,

I've heard good things about both of those machines - either should be more than adequate for you.

I getting ready to purchase a small lathe for home - unfortunately I don't have a lot of extra room and size is an issue. I definitely want power cross feed and have an occasional need to cut a left hand thread - I'll probably go with either the PM1030v or PM1127VF.

Let us know which one you decide on........

Tim

Yes, I think they are both very good machines. I do think the PM has a slight edge over the Grizzly. I called and spoke with Matt today to order one but the earliest I can get one is about 10 to 12 weeks out. This is not good for me as we leave the first week in May to go to NH for the summer.

I then checked on the Grizzly and they expect delivery during the first two weeks in May. Again, not good for me. Matt did say if in the unlikely event someone backs out he will let me know.

Hey Mike, let me know if you decide not to purchase the PM1236!

Gary

Thought I would check out the Birmingham Lathe and was somewhat pleased with what I saw. In fact, this thing appears to be the same as the G4003G except it has a D1-4 Spindle opposed to the D1-5 on the Grizzly. I don't think it has a light. No big deal on that. It has a 1.5" thru bore instead of the slightly larger one on the Grizzly.

Seems to come with all the accessories the G4003G has and the price is $2,775.00. Take a look at it and let me know what you folks think.

Birmingham Lathes

Gary

Gary,

If you put that on the spreadsheet I think you'll find it compares to the Grizzly 4003 (not the 4003G) almost exactly, except for no QC tool post, but does include the stand.

Whats the freight like?

Seems like a reasonable deal to me (I've only heard of CNC masters a few times and didn't look into them).

Mike

Mike...I willl call them tomorrow and get more details on the shipping. It's sorta in between the 4003 and 4003g. I thought at first it had a 1.5" bore but it appears it has a 1 9/16". But that is no big deal to me. Not sure about the tapper cutting as they off a tapper cut accessory as optional. The plus on this machine is a lot of places have it and I could probably get one before I go north.

The price is right! If shipping is reasonable.

Gary

Got an Email for CNC Masters and they don't have this lathe in stock and doesn't know when as "It is a slow seller for us". Called another place in South Florida and same old story, 2 to 3 months. I give up on getting a 12x36before I leave in May. I think I will call Matt and get the 1030V he has in stock and look to upgrade down the road.

Gary

What's the place in south florida? that's local for me and i'm also looking into getting a lathe.

Page 1 of 2 12