587,719 active members*
4,214 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Gibbs Geometry Creation
Page 1 of 2 12

Gibbs Geometry Creation

The shop I work at has multiple CAD/CAM systems including expensive / high-end Gibbs 2004 and inexpensive / low end BOBCAD-CAM V18.

I would like to know why BOBCAD-CAM blows Gibbs 2004 geometry creation away (except for Gibbs Geometry Expert which I really like.) and yet release after release of Gibbs nothing is done to fix this.

Why do Gibbs users / owners accept this situation as ok and tolerate it ?

BTW, it's really nice to finally have control over posting in Gibbs... I have not used Gibbs in years. I'm still amazed at how many shops I run into that have old versions of Gibbs and are still pissed off over having to pay $200 per post. One I'm aware of refused to upgrade and they do no geometry creation at all in Gibbs. They only have the lathe module... they chose to go with Hypermill running inside of AutoCAD instead.

I wish Gibbs would fix the geometry creation problem. I can see no reason why an add-in that raises a tool palette can't be created by a third party developer and included with Gibbs V8.

Anyone else agree with me on this ?

jon

I agree completely. Gibbs geometry creation drives me nuts. I’d like to know why, when deleting a line segment or arc, Gibbs displays the original complete line or circle? Likewise, why can’t I just create a line segment or an arc, without having to merge entities? I mostly work In Pro/e and the first CAM package that comes out with parametric geometry creation (similar to Pro/e Sketcher) will get my business regardless of price!
    FWIW I don’t like Pro/NC.

Are you all posting any of this on GibbsCAM's message board? The newsgroup is watched closely by the developers, and Bill Gibbs.
    The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
    http://supportbb.gibbscam.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Quote Originally Posted by kbarratt
    Are you all posting any of this on GibbsCAM's message board? The newsgroup is watched closely by the developers, and Bill Gibbs.
    The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
    http://supportbb.gibbscam.com/viewforum.php?f=3

The absolute worst way I know of to get change in Gibbs is to ask for it
    in a hidden private web forum !

The only thing that really gets Bill Gibbs attention is loss
    of sales... this is the reason Gibbs now has Post Haste.
    Not having what every other CAD/CAM system had for years
    (the ability to edit or create a post) was costing Gibbs
    sales. For years I did my level best to apply as much
    pressure to Gibbs as possible in this area including working
    with others a large companies to deny Gibbs sales until this
    issue was addressed. From what has been reported to me it
    had an effect and resulted in Post Haste.

I believe if one wants traditional geometry creation tools in
    Gibbs, like I have suggested by utilizing the Plug-In
    approach, which would raise a pallet of traditional geometry
    creation tools, then the best way I know of to accomplish this
    goal is to support a credible independent web forum like this one on
    www.cnczone.com and keep talking about why better geometry
    tools are needed in Gibbs. For years Gibbs and Associates has
    made the excuse that were a CAM system. Like the Gibbs policy
    of refusing to let a user change / edit / create a post this policy
    needs to be changed.

www.cnczone.com serves some very important purposes. Why not
    utilize more of what www.cnczone.com has to offer ?

jon

I agree. Geometry creation sucks. If I need to do something as simple as change the fillet radius of two lines, I go back to Autocad and dxf a new layer into Gibbs.

I don't like to fight with connect/disconnect. Is there a set of rules that governs what line,point,arc combination to select in order to connect.

Bill

Modifying Geometry

If you want to modify a piece of existing geometry in Gibbs, the easiest way is to open Geometry Expert on the geometry creation pallet. Double click the geomety that you wish to modify. This will populate the table. Then by clicking on the element of interest ( radii, chamfer, diameter, etc), it will be highlighted in the table. Then simply make the change, and hit enter and viola, your done.

Quote Originally Posted by 1newkid
    If you want to modify a piece of existing geometry in Gibbs, the easiest way is to open Geometry Expert on the geometry creation pallet. Double click the geomety that you wish to modify. This will populate the table. Then by clicking on the element of interest ( radii, chamfer, diameter, etc), it will be highlighted in the table. Then simply make the change, and hit enter and viola, your done.
    The only problem with this (I haven't used it recently) is that if that geometry chain you double click on is not a closed chain, the endpoints will disconnect.

Very annoying.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree with 2 points made in this thread: 1. Creating-and modifying- geometry in Gibbs is unnecessarily awkward, 2. Gibbs should allow the user to modify postforms.

Creating geometry in Surfcam is intuitive, logical and can be learned in 5 minutes by a beginner, and Surfcam postforms are accessible to the user.

While I agree with the annoyance of not being able to modify your posts in gibbs ,post haste is a joke unless you are working in your garage, I don't understand what problem with geometry creation you guys are refering to. I can't imagine gibbs being any easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbsman
    I don't understand what problem with geometry creation you guys are refering to. I can't imagine gibbs being any easier to use.
    Try some other software. I've used probably close to a dozen different CAD/CAM programs, and aside from the Geometry Expert, creating geometry in Gibbs is painful at best.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I once decided to sit down and create a little CAD/CAM system. I wanted to make it as easy to program as possible. When I thought about how to handle geometry and its creation, I came up with a system that's purely mathematical, putting the work into the hands of the user, not the programmer... I quickly realised that this is how Gibbs works.

When I asked the representatives at the tool show about 8 years ago, why certain things weren't improved or fixed, their response was, "if it isn't broken, we're not going to fix it!"

Gibbs geometry creation is by far the most arduous system I've ever had to work with. It even lacks nifty features like tangent-to-tangent line creation, rectangle creation at one of the sides or corners, and various other little gizmo's that make geometry creation just a bit easier for the everyday programmer.

Here's a neat challenge! try creating this shape in gibbs

Code:
    X------X------X
    |      |      |
    |      |      |
    X------X------X
    |      |      |
    |      |      |
    X------X------X
    It is possible, but it's very difficult.
    http://smackaay.com
    Visit my site

I can only hope that I am not understanding your challenge. If it is to make 4 rectangles I can have that done in about 20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus
    It even lacks nifty features like tangent-to-tangent line creation, rectangle creation at one of the sides or corners, and various other little gizmo's .....

The tangent line creation is 3rd from left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rectangle.jpg   tangent_line.jpg  

gibbsman:

Yes. 4 squares/rectangles, all connected, 12 lines all together. All blue.

cadman:

I know about the rectangle and tangent tools, however, can you select which corner the rectangle is dimensioned...? No, you need to calulate it from center. and with the tangent tool, can you run a line tangent between two arcs of different radiuses? I think not.

Really, I'm not trying to bash Gibbs, however, I wish they would offer a choice as to what method to use when creating geometry. That way, the diehard fanatics are still happy, and the people who are on the fence can join in the fun too. Gibbs, despite it's lack of control, is a very slick system for doing general machining and I work with it every day. However, having worked with MasterCAM, I expect more from Gibbs.
    Visit my site

Dimensioning rectangles/squares from corners or centers does fall into the personal preference/user friendly catagory. However, you can still create a rectangle based on corner locations. Instead of a center position you would enter the corner position and add or subtract half the side length. Not quite intuitive I agree. Just entering the corner position would be better, but then I've used other cam software that have a geometry tool or two that leave a little more to be desired, including Mastercam & Surfcam among others. There really is no cam software immune from the Quirky Geometry Creation Syndrome.

I guess I don't understand what you are getting at about the Line/Tangent tool and different size arcs. Works fine over here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Hmmmm, I didn't know about that feature... it's not in an actual menu so I didn't think of it... neat, thank you. However, I'm having trouble getting one of the arcs to show up in the correct direction, oh well...

As far as the rectangle feature, would the dialog (from masterCAM) really be hard to implement? I don't think so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rectangle.gif  
    Visit my site

If the arcs are pointed the wrong way, select the offending arc(s) and use the Reverse Arc tool.

I do like the Mastercam box creation dialog better than the Gibbs.

HI
    If the arcs are pointing the wrong way, select the arc an go Ctrl T this will put it
    the right way
    Mactec54

I've been using gibbs cam for years, i'd take it any day over mastercam ( which I also use). I can create geometry twice as fast in gibbs as opposed to any other software Iv'e used. I love it !!!

I fixed all my Gibbs geometry creation problems by switching to MastercamX.

And I'm very much happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12