587,333 active members*
3,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years
Page 1 of 2 12
    WallCrawler Guest

Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years

A study of wild chimpanzees has provided evidence that girls have been faster learners than boys for six million years.

Researchers discovered clear gender differences in the way that young male and female chimps learn skills from their mothers.

The findings, published in the journal Nature, mirror the contrasts in the learning abilities of human children, say the scientists behind the study.

Professor Elizabeth Lonsdorf, of the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, said it suggested that young girls' superiority over boys in the classroom may date back to the last common ancestor of chimps and humans, about six million years ago.

Prof Lonsdorf's four-year study of the apes in Tanzania's Gombe National Park watched eight young males and six young females learn from their mothers on how to use sticks to fish for termites.

Female youngsters enjoyed more success than males in the pursuit and mastered the task quicker as they picked up the skill at around 30-months-old whereas most of the males were twice as old as that.

The difference was down to the greater attentiveness on the females' part as they spent more time closely watching their mother. Their technique was more similar to the mother's, even in the depths to which they inserted the sticks in the termite nests.

"Whatever pattern a mother showed, her daughter matched it almost exactly", said Prof Lonsdorf.

The male chimps in the study had shorter attention spans and spent more time wrestling with each other and swinging in trees, the scientists said.

They concluded that the study adds to evidence that sex differences in learning have been in existence longer than the classroom.

You go girls

Boy ur on a roll of useless info today aren't ya, keep it coming, good buddy.

Re: Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years

Originally posted by WallCrawler

The male chimps in the study had shorter attention spans and spent more time wrestling with each other and swinging in trees, the scientists said.
    Why doesn't this surprise me....I think I know these guys.

So with this in mind, why can't we try and recruit more women to groups like this? I have met young women that are at LEAST as smart as their male counterparts (remember the chimpanzee's swinging from trees allegory ) but at least in my internet experience for science and engineering forums, I have met almost none that are interested in the subject. That is the question to ask: Why does society shape humanity so that both genders have cliched interests?
    Moral: lets get those smart women out there involved in CNC
    -Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, Birute Galdikas, Bo Derek, and now Elizabeth Lonsdorf. What is it with women and monkeys?

Originally posted by teilhardo

Moral: lets get those smart women out there involved in CNC
    That would give us more time to spend swinging in the trees.

Originally posted by doug6949
    That would give us more time to spend swinging in the trees.

LMAO!!

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years

Originally posted by WallCrawler
    The difference was down to the greater attentiveness on the females' part as they spent more time closely watching their mother. Their technique was more similar to the mother's, even in the depths to which they inserted the sticks in the termite nests.

"Whatever pattern a mother showed, her daughter matched it almost exactly", said Prof Lonsdorf.

[/B]
    All this means is that us guys have different priorities...

Re: Re: Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years

Originally posted by mvaughn
    All this means is that us guys have different priorities...
    Yeah, like swinging from trees!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

WallCrawler Guest

Re: Re: Re: Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years

Originally posted by Rekd
    lol

Re: Re: Re: Girls have been faster learners - for 6 million years

Originally posted by Rekd
    They don't have many CNC machines out in the jungle... no place to plug em' in.

Due biological and neurological differences in male and females brains there are different capacities and abilities.

Barbara Pease and Allan Pease wrote this book "Why men don't listen and woman cant read maps" in wich they talk about various differences between male and female brains and therefore the way they are.

Very interesting reading. Other book by the same author is the "Body language" another eye opening (mostly for males) book wich helps you to pay attention and learn to correctly translate body language or non verbal communication, which is by the way bears about 80 percent of the meaning of the communication, verbal is only 10 something percent.

Konstantin.

WallCrawler Guest
    Ladys
    Gents

Men
    woman

Guys are easy ,sex ,food.

Woman,

money, food, house, car, so on so on then sex LOL

Originally posted by Konstantin
    Due biological and neurological differences in male and females brains there are different capacities and abilities.

Barbara Pease and Allan Pease wrote this book "Why men don't listen and woman cant read maps" in wich they talk about various differences between male and female brains and therefore the way they are.

Very interesting reading. Other book by the same author is the "Body language" another eye opening (mostly for males) book wich helps you to pay attention and learn to correctly translate body language or non verbal communication, which is by the way bears about 80 percent of the meaning of the communication, verbal is only 10 something percent.

Konstantin.
    I've actually read some research papers on this topic, but not those books. One of the things that always struck me was how males process iron more efficiently than females, which studies have shown is critical for good understanding in math and science.

Being an engineering major and minor, I can definitely say that only about 1 in every 15 to 20 people in my classes are female. Also the ratio of women that drop out of an engineering major during their freshman year is much greater than the ratio of men that drop out. However, women dominate greatly when it comes to social sciences and liberal arts.

I'll have to take a look at those books you pointed out, thanks for bringing them up.....maybe it'll help me understand why the g/f gives me the silent treatment sometimes because I can't read minds.........

I'll have to take a look at those books you pointed out, thanks for bringing them up.....maybe it'll help me understand why the g/f gives me the silent treatment sometimes because I can't read minds.........
    I garantee you that if you read the "Body Language" by Allan Peace you still wont read minds but your girl will feel much better when you will be able to interpret her body language adequately and your understanding will improve dramatically.

Ever wonder how will be your life if you could read minds, read other people thoughts? One could think that it would be 'very kewl' but in reality there is no way for a person to know if a given thought is is having is his or someone elses, see what nightmare it could become if your mind already processing your own thougts will be invaded by other people thoughts? There is no closed captions in the mind.

Even a simple event when you and another person thinking about something and suddenly the both of you have the same idea or say exactly the same thing, how to determinate if you thought of that idea by yourself and mentally suggested that idea to the other person or it happened the other way around.
    Could be a coincidence but if coincedences abund how to tell who is the transmitter and who is the receiver.

Almost all people who's perception is different from the rest of the people, those who can see glimpses of past or future end up tragically, it is very cruel to slip out of reality without control.

Great wits are sure to madness near allied,
    And thin partitions do their bounds divide.

Konstantin

Its good.

i was reading an article which totally blows away most theories including darwin about us evolving from apes
    the studies claimed that we are indeed part decendant of apes but it is not a full decent , it is a mixture cross breed between apes and parakeets ,
    think about it the next time your at work and someone goes walking by whistling away and scratching their ass , it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by teilhardo View Post
    ....Moral: lets get those smart women out there involved in CNC
    You are missing the point..they are smart which is why they are not involved. They know better!!!!!
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

This topic begs the question: is a copier a learner? If so, my Xerox machine is a damn genius

Society advances quite slowly when it only copies what the previous generation knew and did. That is not to say that imitation is a bad thing, after all, there are many physical functions to life that are necessary for us to imitate, as our bodies are similar in form and function. I would say that a tendency for the female to imitate, and to teach imitation is a necessary gender role for the maternal function of the breeding female.

I also happen to think that the somewhat reckless behaviour induced by the effects of testosterone might also be responsible for creative thinking. New ideas spring forth from a hodge-podge mix of 'trying this and trying that', which is the equivalent of playing, aka, disruptive behaviour when viewed within the confines of the 'teaching imitation' environment.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    This topic begs the question: is a copier a learner? If so, my Xerox machine is a damn genius ....

.....I also happen to think that the somewhat reckless behaviour induced by the effects of testosterone might also be responsible for creative thinking. New ideas spring forth from a hodge-podge mix of 'trying this and trying that', which is the equivalent of playing, aka, disruptive behaviour when viewed within the confines of the 'teaching imitation' environment.
    Two good points; copying is essential to learning but intelligence is the ability to used the copied (learned) knowledge out of the context in which is was learned and in combination with knowledge copied out of a different context.

The other point about disruptive behaviour was referred to by Arthur C Clarke the science fiction writer (I may be repeating myself here). He says that the current penchant for drugging disruptive (ADHD) boys into complacency and 'treating' mild disorders such as Asperger's Syndrome and Dyslexia means that society is destroying the creativity and imagination of the coming generation.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Page 1 of 2 12