587,744 active members*
2,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Do you like global warming?

Voters
506. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I love it.

314 62.06%
  • No, it's bad.

192 37.94%
Page 6 of 21 4567816
    Change is natural, lets live and adapt to the changes, the people how want to stop change are mad, but lets not hasten change by burying our heads in the sand , as what we do now will affect all our children no matter what race creed religion or colour, so it is up to us to develop new and better ways so they may build on our ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    It is my understanding that an RO desalination plant does not produce a very concentrated brine. RO has a high flow through, ..............
    Sorry to have been missing in action, but life has been happening. Apparently you guys have been doing a good job holding the fort without me...

Reverse Osmosis has some definite limitations. A process that looks quite promising (that I did some work on for a researcher here) is "Forward Osmosis". It's a 2-stage process that uses a saline interface, is more efficient and easier on components (less frequent membrane replacement).

Quote Originally Posted by tmaker View Post
    I live in on a hill in Indiana and am looking forward to having beach front property when the golf of Mexico comes up the Mississippi river.
    Dear tmaker,

Hedge your bets,

Buy a snowsuit and insulated boots. Add T shirts, sun cream, shorts, and sandals to your shopping basket.

Best wishes

Martin

the only thing shure about "climate change"is that the gment will use it to lever more cash out your/my pockets

mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE JEFFERS View Post
    the only thing shure about "climate change"is that the gment will use it to lever more cash out your/my pockets

mike
    Dear Mike,

It's just too good an opportunity for them to ignore, isn't it? It's as though their wildest dreams have come true.

Gloomy..

Best wishes

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Dear Mike,

It's just too good an opportunity for them to ignore, isn't it? It's as though their wildest dreams have come true.

Gloomy..

Best wishes

Martin
    Well you could always stash your conscience and sense of ethics under a handy rock and come up with some sort of plausible Carbon Offset Scam and bask in the glow of your own halo and the piles of filthy lucre you would amass.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Well you could always stash your conscience and sense of ethics under a handy rock and come up with some sort of plausible Carbon Offset Scam and bask in the glow of your own halo and the piles of filthy lucre you would amass.
    Dear Geof,

The government over here is floating the idea of a $30 " green" tax for each plane trip. I wonder where the revenue will be spent ... probably MP's pensions, and "vital" first-class trips to distant climate conferences that always seem to be in places like Phuket rather than Southend.

Still gloomy...

Best wishes,

Martin

Let's take advantage of global warming. Canal the water from the ice melting at the poles to the arid regions. In fact, we have a lot of dry lakes out here in the High Desert where I live that I'd like to see filled.

Since these lakes and canals are water, they would have a moderating effect on the climate. Could also grow more food, limit the effects of drought, and use for recreation.

The "global warming" has been known since 2004 to be "solar system wide." Even Pluto moving farther from the Sun is warming up. Mars hasn't had any ice caps of late.
    Safety - Quality - Production.

lol, now this forums is a hoot. I love it.

2004? Nope.
    NASA has known for years that there was a recession of the Martian ice caps. It just doesn't make for sensational headlines, and is kinda contradictory to it's AGW hero Jimmy Hansen....who incidentally makes an interesting statement....

--"The war of words in the global warming debate gets fierce (and even a bit morbid) in a Denver Post article in which Colorado State University hurricane expert William Gray calls global warming “a big scam.” That’s not the morbid part.

The retort from James Hansen at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies: “Some of this noise won’t stop until some of these scientists are dead.”
    http://www.livescience.com/blogs/200...ists-are-dead/

That's what I like! Real Science from Real Scientists!!

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    “Some of this noise won’t stop until some of these scientists are dead.”....That's what I like! Real Science from Real Scientists!!
    I think you must admit that it is probably accurate.

Contrary to popular belief, I am neither in the yes or no camp in terms of if Global warming is a man made problem. I am in the "benefit of the doubt" camp.
    We just cant be sure either way.
    My argument is, we need to become dependent on renewable energies regardless. Why wouldn't we want to build a network of wind, solar, geothermal, hydro, etc, where we once and for all, will never need to worry about where our energy is coming from, and its impact on our earth?

I am not saying this video is true or false, but it does show another side of the debate. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47519933351566
    That been said, we might as well sort out our energy solutions regardless of if there is man made global warming or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, I am neither in the yes or no camp in terms of if Global warming is a man made problem. I am in the "benefit of the doubt" camp.
    We just cant be sure either way.
    My argument is, we need to become dependent on renewable energies regardless. Why wouldn't we want to build a network of wind, solar, geothermal, hydro, etc, where we once and for all, will never need to worry about where our energy is coming from, and its impact on our earth?

I am not saying this video is true or false, but it does show another side of the debate. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...47519933351566
    That been said, we might as well sort out our energy solutions regardless of if there is man made global warming or not.
    Dear ynneb,

I absolutely agree with all that. Thank-you.

My guess though, is that the renewable lobby somewhat over-state the realistic contribution that they can make, given the current level of energy demand. IMVVHO, it is obvious that we need to preserve fossil fuels as a resource as a raw material for the manufacture of plastics, lubricants etc. etc. etc. rather than pissing it out of our flues, tail-pipes and power stations.

The answer is nuclear power. I do not think that there is a realistic other option unless we are prepared to live in tents...and we are not.. are we?

Best wishes

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    .... I do not think that there is a realistic other option unless we are prepared to live in tents...and we are not.. are we?

Best wishes

Martin
    Even the tents would be out: They are either synthetic or cotton the most energy intensive crop there is (I think).

It is back to the caves people .

Even the tents would be out: They are either synthetic or cotton the most energy intensive crop there is (I think).

It is back to the caves people .
    Dear Geof,

I have always been excited by caves , mines and other underground dwellings. Maybe it is something to do with being a mole in a previous life.

On reflection, I'm not sure if I would wish to share my burrow with that nuclear crap.

Best wishes

Martin

With enough renewable energy our standard of living will not need to change at all. All I am suggesting is lets start building towards it now. Its a long term and permanent solution.

Consider this.... enough solar energy falls on our earth in one hour that can supply the worlds energy needs for one year, and thats not taking into account wind, wave, and other energy solutions.
    Consider this..... Renewables last for ever. Petrocarbons might last for 100years, nuclear might last for 50 years at our current consumption.......then what? Then turn to renewables? Why not now?

Consider this.....How many trillion dollars have been spent on wars to secure our petrol supplies. What sort of a kick arse renewable system could we have built with that same trillion?

Lets build for the long term and not just our short lives. Lets leave a renewable legacy for our kids and not just think about our own short lives.

If there is only enough uranium to last 50 years, how can we justify having to guard the waste for the next 10,000 years just so we could party for 50 years.

We dont need to live in tents, we just need to plan today and be wise for tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/v/kYKOjnCwmG8

Mars undergoing global warming.

Pluto undergoing global warming.

These articles date back to 2003 & 2002.
    Safety - Quality - Production.

I think a bit of clarification is in order on the 'going Nuclear' idea.

Nuclear fission is a temporary solution and a bad legacy to leave to our children's future. The idea of let's have it today and our children can clean it up later is the kind of thinking that governments have been using for years on alot of things.

Nuclear fusion is the only terrestrial form of power creation that will see mankind into the next 3000 or more years. Yes today it is in it's infancy and as yet not viable for large scale use but the physics of the technology has been proven and we do have some small scale reactors 'sort of ' working.

If you, "governments" want to tax 'us' for global warming then the boffins working on Nuclear fusion should get it.

Once we have mastered that kind of power generation and miniturised it, man-kind can then reach for the stars realisticly and find another planet to f*ck up for the next millenea (god i need a spell checker).

Rant over.

Dear cjmerlincnc,

Well said.

Best wishes.

Martin

Page 6 of 21 4567816