587,197 active members*
2,640 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Good News

Lightbulb Good News

Okay-this is way on topic for this forum but i come here a lot.

As many of you know I work for Haas in the Applications department. This is a service organization and we never hear from anyone unless there is a problem. I don't mind this at all and I really enjoy helping people. I enjoy it so much that I even come here to see if I can help more people. However, for at least the last year or so when I read the news or watch news on TV it is nothing but bad news. So as you can see, all I seem to see lately is problems everywhere I look. I would like to believe that there is still good things happening in the world. Can anyone that has any good news about anything please post it. I am sure I am not the only one tired of hearing nothing but bad news.

Sure, i'll bite. Dry for the first time in 11 days, so I got to drive my Porsche to work.

Mori Seiki announced production of machines in the US=more jobs

We (our company) has bought 1 new HAAS, 4 new Mori-Seikis, one very large flow waterjet, 2 Mits EDM's and ordering 3 more machines in march. This has been all in the last year.

Hope this is what you meant.

Exactly those sorts of things. That is great news!

Woke up this morning! Just passed 20 yr anniversry , wife hasn't booted me out yet, business is great, I can walk to work and I am learning new stuff everyday.

I don't have a boss... I am the boss! This is good for me.

What kind of good news do you want business or personal? Business-wise we are doing very well; mostly because we serve the disability market which does not fluctuate much.

Personal: In March 2008 I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. Now after hormone and very heavy radiation therapy it seems I am cancer free and can look forward to multiple years in this condition.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Congrats Geof.

In July last year my dad went in for esophigus cancer surgery it was very bad, if he didnt have the surgery he wouldnt love for more then a few months. everythign that could go wrong in surgery went wrong, we was in comma for 14 days. he came out one day and walked 4 laps around the ICU, the next day they put him in a room (general so be released0 the next day doc told him if he could walk 1/4 mile he could god home, dad walked 1/2 mile around and around. they didnt want him to go home but a bet was a bet. he went home.
    2 more months of chemo and all the pet scans showed negitive. The Man spent 26 years in the navy weighed 172 lbs wet and walked a mile a day at the age of 72. one month after surgery he was walking an easy mile a day, weighed 135lbs and is gaining his weight back but slowly. he's still on a feeding tube until his weight comes back and he can swallow foods( he is having a hard time)
    he doesnt smoke or drink( beer occasionally), esophigus cancer and almost always fatal pretty quick it also can grow 1 centimeter a week easy, as they usually find it to late, only thing that gave my dad more time to get treated was his blood thinner medicine , he was bleeding out one day and went into ER.
    Nothing is better news than Family doing well. all the money in the world can't replace family. ( funny we dont realize that till we are in our 40s

Good News,
    I re-capped my 2000 IBM NetVista computer and it runs like a champ. I loaded my version 4.0 Virtual Gibbs program and that worked. Found a working copy of the Post for the Gibbs for my Haas VM1. The memory retention battery in my 1991 Haas VM1 is still good (I ordered a new one just to be ready). Hooked the above items together and everything works fine. I use my Haas for hobby reasons now and I am still very satisfied with it.

Bruce Mowbray
    Springville, PA

Part of the reason there is no good news is we don't have news organizations anymore. Now everything is ratings driven. I used to get so wound up listening to talk radio..I would be worthless the rest of the day.
    No more, no TV news..ever..never ever listen to talk radio. Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong I just don't care.
    It is amazing how much it frees up the mind to eliminate that kind of noise from from your life.
    That said, new Horizontal and large building expansion last fall..and if winter will go away another new building :banana:
    Gary

This thread is a nice change. I am EMPLOYED!! Fortunately we are slammed. I work at a shop where we do tons of one off stuff. Plenty of prototype work. Just glad to have some place to go to spend my days. I hear about so many that have been out for so long, I just hope for better days ahead for all.

Geof, keep your spirits up. I've lost close friends to the big c. Glad to hear that someone got the tiger by the tail.