587,939 active members*
3,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Grease for Tool Room Machines

Question Grease for Tool Room Machines

Has anyone used Moly grease on their tool room machines? Is this a good or bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by AMCTony View Post
    Has anyone used Moly grease on their tool room machines? Is this a good or bad idea?
    The Haas manual says use a general purpose lithium grease.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Boy, that stuff would make an awful mess of the machine after awhile. I'd stick with the lithium grease unless there's a really good case for it. Chemically speaking, I don't know if the sulfur in the grease is good to have being pumped around with your coolant.

Why are you thinking of switching?
    Greg

I just had a tube of the moly stuff here so I was curious. I have another tube here that is Valvoline Cerulean. The tube says that it is a premium multipurpose lithium complex grease for heavy loads. Should I just go get a tube of the white lithium grease or do you guys think that this stuff is fine since it says lithium on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    The Haas manual says use a general purpose lithium grease.
    Geof,

Will the Sulfur cause increased corrosion?????
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Geof,

Will the Sulfur cause increased corrosion?????
    What sulfur?

General purpose lithium grease does not contain sulfur.

High temperature extreme pressure grease will probably contain sulfur in the form of calcium sulfonate. I have no idea whether these greases would cause problems on ball screws or linear guides but they are not needed because neither of these are high temperature extreme pressure environments.

Stick with the recommended general purpose lithium grease.

I asked because Greg mentioned Sulfur in his Post. I have heard that Sulfur causes increased or rapid corrosion when mixed with water.

"Chemically speaking, I don't know if the sulfur in the grease is good to have being pumped around with your coolant"
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    I asked because Greg mentioned Sulfur in his Post. I have heard that Sulfur causes increased or rapid corrosion when mixed with water.

"Chemically speaking, I don't know if the sulfur in the grease is good to have being pumped around with your coolant"
    Ah, hadn't noticed that.

Yes sulfur compounds in coolant are what the nasty smelly bugs live on when things get anaerobic, and the sulfur compounds come from the lubricants. I do not know for sure but I would not be surprised if some of the additives in way oil contain small amounts of sulfur.

You have heard more or less correct, it is not sulfur itself but sulfur compounds that can cause corrosion and etching. Many of these compounds react with water to form acids; that is what acid rain is, sulfur dioxide from the combustion of coal and fuel oil forming sulfuric acid by reactio with water and atmospheric oxygen.

I mentioned sulfur because he said 'moly grease.' That generally means Molybdenum Disulfide chassis grease. I used to use that stuff on everything on my motorcycles. I discovered that the combination of washing the bike, constant agitation by rotating bearings and heat, were a lethal combination. It literally pitted the balls and the races and destroyed the bearings. When I washed them out, the cages & balls were all deeply pitted and rusty (under a full pack of grease).

I don't think the ball screws would be much different than those roller bearings on my motorcycle.
    Greg

Hey look we stayed On Topic!!

Thank you both for your wisdom and answers.

AMCTony thanks for this thread.

Cheers!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Thanks for the info guys, it is greatly appreciated. I will just go get some of the general purpose white lithium grease and use the other stuff for exactly that,... other.

Thanks for the info guys, it is greatly appreciated. I will just go get some of the general purpose white lithium grease and use the other stuff for exactly that,... other.
    Well said
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I will just go get some of the general purpose white lithium grease and use the other stuff for exactly that,... other.
    My TL-1 lathe came with a tube of brown, extreme pressure, lithium grease. It wasn't your regular, old white lithium grease. I'm going to stay with that since it's also the same stuff slathered all over the screws from the factory.
    Greg