587,779 active members*
2,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Grizzly 9x20 to cnc

Hi all,
    I have a Grizzly 9X20 I bought used a few years ago. I decided a couple weeks ago it was time for a cnc conversion. Here are a few pictures to show where I am at.
    I am not sure if the pictures uploaded, if not I will try later.
    Cutmore
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lthe 017.jpg  

So you already converted it or? Im a bit confused. From the picture it looks like a ball cut so i guess yes

Guldberg,
    The answer is yes, but I still have to add limit switches, spindle encoder, Motor control relay. I turned the ball end last night about 10:30.
    Here are a couple more pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lthe 014.jpg   lthe 015.jpg  

That looks like good fun!

What do you have in mind to do with it next? Are you writing the g-code by hand?

Best,

BW

Bob,
    I used the wizard in Mach3 for the g-code for the ballend. I use Bobcad for my router & plasma cutter and I want to use the same program for all. I guess it's learning curve time again!
    One reason for the conversion is a part I make in my company, it is a 1/2" thick roller wheel. I was tired of hand facing 200 wheels at a time. Now I should be able to set up a program to face, bore, then chamfer 1 side complete at a time using the right tool. I am thinking of using a boring tool for that.
    Regards,
    Cutmore

Hey Cutmore! You decided to give a whirl! Great, looking good!
    I don't see thrust bearings, tho! I wonder how long the stepper bearings will take the load..... Might be alright for intermittent / light duty work.
    More pics please! (gotta feed an old mans curiosity)
    Check my 9 x 19 thread in the next couple of days, I put a spindle pulse on mine and am playing with threading!
    Good Luck!!

Load on steppers

jhowelb,
    The load in not on the steppers. I have the ball screws mounted fixed 1 end with angular contact bearings in the mounting block. I installed 2 metal tabs on my spindle for the pulse. I found out 1 needs to be 1/2 the size for Mach to reliably register the spindle speed. I have made some threads & a nut will thread on so I am at least close.
    I would not call these parts intermittent or light as these are steel,started with a 2" rod, turned the small end to 1/2" diameter. Then I flipped the part and made the 45 degree taper on the other end. For each part the lathe was cutting for~20 minutes while all I did was pull about a cubic foot of steel wool of the lathe! Doc, was .015, .005" fpr. All 4 parts were cut dry with no coolant at 1000 rpm.
    Cutmore
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lthe 007.jpg   lthe 008.jpg   lthe 002.jpg  

Quite entertaining!

Can you give us a YouTube clip of the lathe doing a part or two? Threading would be excellent but those big centers would be fun too!

I don't think I've ever seen a video of one of these little lathes so I keep begging folks to shoot one.

Best,

BW

Short video of cnc lathe

Bob,
    Here is a short video of my lathe cutting this weekend. Enjoy.
    Cutmore

Lathe video

Sorry guys, I can not load the video. The video is zipped & it is 4.5 megs so I do not know why. Any way here is what I was turning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lthe 004.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cut more View Post
    Sorry guys, I can not load the video. The video is zipped & it is 4.5 megs so I do not know why. Any way here is what I was turning.
    Try posting your video on www.youtube.com .

ahhhhhh! it looks nice but its soo blurry!