588,490 active members*
4,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas Alarm 161 - Help!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions here.

I have a 94 VF0 that has possibly developed a low voltage problem. First thing yesterday I got a 163 Alert (Z axis over current or drive fault). Hit reset, same alert, reset, same alert. After 4-5 times, the 163 alert went away but then got a 161 Alert (X axis over current or drive fault). Checked connections, tested voltage, swapped boards between X,Y, and Z, and now have both a 161 and 162 Alert (X and Y over current or drive fault). I read on some early posts that a problem could exist with a low voltage transformer. I see 4 low voltage transformers on the Servo Dist. PCB. Are these the low voltage transfer that were referred to in earlier posts?

Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Check the voltage across the bridge rectifiers on the servo dist. It should read 160VDC.

Thanks Machinetoolguy.

A few days back I did just that and found 176 VDC. Within limits, but a bit high. After a few minutes running (with the 4 servos disabled), I noticed that two of the four low voltage transformers on the Servo Dist. Board were heating up. I removed the Servo Dist. Board and did a continuity test of the 4 transformers. I found that one of the 24v transformers has a dead short.

I know that a quick solution is to buy a new board from HAAS ($500.00), but before doing that I'll try to find some replacement transformers. What's on there are two Paraline CSC5-24 (115v primary with 2-12v secondaries (24v tapped)) and two CSC5-36 (115v primary with 2-18v secondaries (36v tapped). These transformers have 3 solder connectors on each coil and I've been unable to find a replacement from Newark, Mouser or Allied. Newark's 16M4643 and 44F2137 have all the right specs, but have 2 connectors on the primary side and 4 connectors on the secondary side. I've spoken with Paraline and was told that they are special order items.

I'm thinking that HAAS has upgraded these transformers. If anyone out there (with an older VF with brush-type servos) can tell me (or read the labels on) what transformers are on their Servo Dist. PCB, I would really appreciate it.

I just got off the phone with Paraline. They are GREAT! Said they had the materials in stock and could have them ready to ship on Friday. I'm purchasing 3 of each. I'll put two of each on the board and will have two on hand for the future or if someone else runs into this same problem.