587,753 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas Mini Mill Maintenance

I have two Mini Mill's that are around a year old and was wondering what maintenance should be done to them. The book does not say much about they because the dont have a gear box, belts or filters so what needs changed? I was going to pull off the way covers and vaccum out the chips that got under them. Do you grease the screws or leave them alone? When do the automatic oilers need changed? Any info whould be great. Thanks

I have two Mini's from 2001 and the only maintenance we have done is take the Z axis way covers off and clean out the chips.

The screws are lubed by a central oil system and if that is kept topped up when the machine tells you it is low nothing more is needed. You can pump it yourself and watch that the oil pressure does slowly drop indicating it is flowing.

We have never touched any of the drive belts and my philosophy is if they are quiet leave them alone.

We replace the filter on the control cabinet every year.

Every so often we wash the accumulated chips out of the tool changer. This does not have sliding covers over the tool pockets so chips can collect inside.

That is about it I think.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I dont see a filter on the control cabinet. Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by slatern44 View Post
    I dont see a filter on the control cabinet. Where is it?
    Inside the shallow cover, see picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter.JPG  

Crazy. My 06 and 07 machines do not have a raised cover like that on the back and no filter. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by slatern44 View Post
    Crazy. My 06 and 07 machines do not have a raised cover like that on the back and no filter. Thanks again.
    ??????????

Do they have any ventilation to the control cabinet?

Maybe because the Mini is low powered they have now cheaped out and are getting away with no cooling air flow.

Mine has a filter, but it's a 2000.
    Maybe planned obsolesence?

I have changed the drive belt once in a couple of years. Made the spindle a lot quieter...

Just checked my 6 month old TM. No air filter. The instructions sticker refers to filters, reservoirs, etc., but each with the proviso "if applicable". There are two 4" electronic cooling fans under the servo amps. I'm surprised there is no visable effort for air management. No holes in the bottom or top of the control box, all sealed up.

Vern

Haas redesigned the cabinet and they no longer have the filter.

Yep my 2004 Mini has no filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Inside the shallow cover, see picture.
    Geof,

Do your guys ever look at each other funny when you come into the shop, take some odd picture and walk out? I love the fact that you have camera will travel, great to illustrate a point or help someone out like in this case but I just get this mental image in my head sometimes

On topic
    Our 2001 TM-1 has the filter arrangement shown, our 2002 does not nor did any of the 2005 Mini mills at school.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Shotout View Post
    Geof,

Do your guys ever look at each other funny when you come into the shop, take some odd picture and walk out?....
    Yes .

And they are not afraid to ask why, actually they have only asked once, I told them it was a guy on a forum I am on that had a question.

My guys are used to me bringing people around as well because we are near a Haas dealer and occasionally they will ask if a prospective customer can come by and look at something and the techs occasionally drop by to look at one of my machines because an out of town customer with the same model has a problem and they want to see an example of the machine. Which could be one of the reasons I get good service when I need it; that and my charming personality .

On the filter topic, my 2006 Super MiniMill has it but both my TL1s do not. I guess it is simply a case that the low power machines do not generate enough heat in the box to need ventilation.

I just got a 2005 mini mill. I am new to HAAS. I don't seem to be able to find a mini specific manual. A typical HAAS manual talks about spindle oil and axis grease. I can't find the grease reservoir anywhere on my machine. The question is does a mini have grease reservoir or is it fed by the same boiler? Appreciate any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I have two Mini's from 2001 and the only maintenance we have done is take the Z axis way covers off and clean out the chips.

The screws are lubed by a central oil system and if that is kept topped up when the machine tells you it is low nothing more is needed. You can pump it yourself and watch that the oil pressure does slowly drop indicating it is flowing.

We have never touched any of the drive belts and my philosophy is if they are quiet leave them alone.

We replace the filter on the control cabinet every year.

Every so often we wash the accumulated chips out of the tool changer. This does not have sliding covers over the tool pockets so chips can collect inside.

That is about it I think.