587,477 active members*
3,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas "MiniMill" spindle question

Haas "MiniMill" spindle question

I just purchased a Haas "MiniMill" and after running it for a few days I noticed the spindle getting pretty warm to the touch. Not too hot to touch but enough to wonder if there may be a problem. I'm cutting aluminum with a .500 data flute endmill and the spindle load isn't very high. It's only about 50% on the load meter. Should I be concerned? Is the warm spindle normal? It's been rather cold in the shop I've been running it. About 40 or 50 degrees but I always run a warmup program for a while before running it at any high RPM's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you can touch it, it is not overheating.

What is the max RPM of your machine? If your machine has an air/oil mist lubricated spindle it could have excessive oil in the spindle that needs to be purged.

Looked behind the main air regulator, if there is a small regulator with a pressure gage, when the spindle is running this gage should read about 17 psi. This is the air that is used to carry the oil to the spindle.

Loose Nut

The machine has two programs O02020 Warm Up and O02021 Run In.

When the tech installed the machine he should have used the Run In program with the regulator Loose Nut mentions turned up to 30 or more psi to purge oil out of the spindle. Then return it to the 17 for n ormal operation.

If the machine is not used for a day or two or if it is in a cold location ther Warm Up should be run before using the machine; it puts up a warning when you hit cycle start for the first time telling you this.

If the machine has been idle for a couple of weeks the Run In should be done again.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

the company i work for just got a mini mill after Christmas and before the tech left after he setup the machine he started the run in program, and every morning i run the warm up program. and so far i havent noticed a warm spindle. but then again i havent really used the machine to its capacity either. we are just using it for small parts for the time being. i think the biggest spindle load i have seen is about 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by HAAS MM View Post
    the company i work for just got a mini mill after Christmas and before the tech left after he setup the machine he started the run in program, and every morning i run the warm up program. and so far i havent noticed a warm spindle. but then again i havent really used the machine to its capacity either. we are just using it for small parts for the time being. i think the biggest spindle load i have seen is about 30%.
    Thisn is the way to do it I think. All my machines get the Warm Up every morning before starting work. Provided this is done we may get warm spindles but never hot; in addition I have never found any correlation between load and spindle temperature, speed yes but not load.

Warm up spindle program at Haas manual

O02020 (Spindle Warm-Up)
    S500M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S1000M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S2500M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S5000M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S7500M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S10000M3;
    G04 P200.;
    M30;

anybody can confirm it?
    Thanks

yes that is right. My machine its for 4 days at a time with no use, run only on weekends. I wrote my own warm up that each P code is 300 and at the end it cuts a rosette in the air each arc faster and faster to warm up the ball screws as well.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    The machine has two programs O02020 Warm Up and O02021 Run In.

When the tech installed the machine he should have used the Run In program with the regulator Loose Nut mentions turned up to 30 or more psi to purge oil out of the spindle. Then return it to the 17 for n ormal operation.

If the machine is not used for a day or two or if it is in a cold location ther Warm Up should be run before using the machine; it puts up a warning when you hit cycle start for the first time telling you this.

If the machine has been idle for a couple of weeks the Run In should be done again.
    What does the 002021 Run In program do?

Quote Originally Posted by plastibob View Post
    What does the 002021 Run In program do?
    The explanation I was given by the Haas person is that when the spindle is not used for several days all the oil drains down into the lower bearing. If the spindle is run at high speed in this condition it can cause overheating. (I can confirm it does cause overheating.) The Run In program combined with the increased air purge pressure redistributes the oil and removes the excess.

The explanation I was given by the Haas person is that when the spindle is not used for several days all the oil drains down into the lower bearing. If the spindle is run at high speed in this condition it can cause overheating. (I can confirm it does cause overheating.) The Run In program combined with the increased air purge pressure redistributes the oil and removes the excess.
    Where can I find that program?

Quote Originally Posted by plastibob View Post
    Where can I find that program?
    With your machine you will have got a floppy or a usb drive, the program is on there; O02021 for Run In, O02020 for Warm Up.

I think you can also find them on the Haas website but I do not know the link.

Quote Originally Posted by hoi.le View Post
    Warm up spindle program at Haas manual

O02020 (Spindle Warm-Up)
    S500M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S1000M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S2500M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S5000M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S7500M3;
    G04 P200.;
    S10000M3;
    G04 P200.;
    M30;

anybody can confirm it?
    Thanks
    our spindle warm up was deleted some time ago,just wrote this code to the control and the machine went thru ther code in 5 seconds,how do you get the dwell in between rpm changes?

thank you
    tim
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Take the decimal out of your dwell; 200 is 200 seconds, 200. is 200 milliseconds.

works mint.

thank you Geof

Tim
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Talking Haas Mini Mill Settings 109-112

Hi all,

I am new to the mini mill, what are the setting 109-112 in the haas settings pages?

There are:

109 warm up time
    110 warmup x distance
    111 warmup y distance
    112 warmup z distance

Is there an automated warm up sequence? If yes, how to I start it? I do not see a button. Thanks!

This is correct. The way the current spindle lube works is that when the axes move, the spindle gets a small shot of oil about 37 minutes interval, and the spinning of the bearings move the oil through the spindle. The air is a way of carrying the oil up to the spindle, but it's second job is to keep positive pressure in the spindle.
    Ofcourse, this is not the case while shut down, so the oil does accumulate on the lower bearings. So after extended periods of more than a day or so, it is a good idea to get the spindle warm up.
    I would actually dwell at the speeds for about 5 minutes at a time. The program posted is a good start, can't go wrong with it.
    Unless the axes have been moving without the spindle turning, there is really not much gain in turning up the air pressure, however.
    Initially you'll see what seems to be a lot of oil coming out of the spindle; this is normal. After that, all will look and feel normal.
    Pete
    PCOOL dude...

TM-1P

Hi Pete,

Does the TM-1P have the same oiling system?

Also, the warm up program originally supplied ran up to 10K. I modified the 2020 warm up program to only ask for 6K as that is the maximum spindle RPM on my TM-1P.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your valued input.
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi Pete,

Does the TM-1P have the same oiling system?

Also, the warm up program originally supplied ran up to 10K. I modified the 2020 warm up program to only ask for 6K as that is the maximum spindle RPM on my TM-1P.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your valued input.
    I think the TM mills have a grease lubed spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I think the TM mills have a grease lubed spindle.

The 2020 program is a generic one for all our machines. We over ride the spindle speed from the front panel to 60% for the 6k machines (or 120% for 12k spindles).
    Even on the greased spindles doing the warm up is a very good thing.
    Pete
    PCOOL dude...

TM-1P Warm Up Program

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input. GREAT Idea. Probably something to put in the manual if it is not already there.
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]