588,621 active members*
5,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas sale yesterday?

I got a phone message from my reseller that any new Haas equipment order was a flat 15% off for the equipment and any accessories all day yesterday if the order was placed before 3 pm? Anyone hear the same? I have been planning to order a new TL-1 to go with my TM-1 but I was tied up at work all day and missed the 3 pm cut off. I checked the Haas web site as soon as I got home (about 6:30 pm) but didn't see anything on there other than the promo and inventory reduction they have been running for the last month or so. With today's weak economy maybe more Haas price reductions are in the future? We buy many tons of structural steel and piping each year at work and steel prices are off 30% already. Big drops in aluminum and copper as well. Anyway post up here please if anyone becomes aware of another discount opportunity. I could sure use the discount!
    2008 Haas TM-1, 2009 TL-1

It was the last day of the month and for a company that prides itself on their constant growth, they might have been pushing to get enough orders into the queue for January. The growth has to peak sooner or later and with the economy in the state it's in, January might have been that month.

I don't think it would be any reflection on Haas, but some people see declining sales as an indicator that a company has jumped the shark.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by rawen2 View Post

Yes thank you Ralph! I did see that add. It was advertised a few months ago too. I emailed the guy twice back then and he never answered back. I sent another email yesterday in response to the new add so we'll see if I get a response this time. At 15% off I could buy new for the same price though and get the warranty, USB, 15" screen etc. Anyway thank you for the lead, I appreciate it!

Don't get a TL1 get the TL1-P...unless of course you like taking a coolant shower.

Also get the auto-turret so you can occasionally do production work.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The ad says that it's a late 2007 machine. Mine had an August 2007 build date and I've got the 15" LCD monitor (that one has the 10"). I think the $28K price he's quoting included sales tax, shipping and rigging.

I don't see a coolant pump so it looks like a base machine, with a tailstock, $800 toolpost, $900 chuck and maybe a few more things. Make sure you know what Haas would charge you to put a similar machine in your shop. Make sure that the used machine has thread repair in the software. Thread repair means that it has a later version of the software that included a bunch of other IPS updates (more useful and friendly).

I bought mine new because I found a used one that was better equipped and had fewer hours, but the owner wanted $20K for it.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Don't get a TL1 get the TL1-P...unless of course you like taking a coolant shower.

Also get the auto-turret so you can occasionally do production work.

Do they make a TL-1P? I have seen the enclosed toolroom mill version (TM-1P) but not an enclosed toolroom lathe? I will look some more on their site.

Donkey Hotey,

I did get a written "sale" quote on Friday for a new one equipped just the same as the one in Portland is (base lathe, 8" chuck, tailstock, toolpost with 4 tool holders) and it was just $430 more delivered. I just didn't have time to see the quote and respond before 3 pm Friday. For that price difference I'd obviously go new assuming I can still get the same price.

I thought the same as you, for a late 2007 machine it should have the 15" screen and USB etc but the pic in the add seems to show the older style tube and the add says floppy disk, no usb. I bought my TM-1 in Nov of 2007 and it also came stock with the 15" lcd and usb like you say. If the guy writes back I will ask about the rethreading. Thanks for that tip!

Quote Originally Posted by maxine View Post
    Do they make a TL-1P? I have seen the enclosed toolroom mill version (TM-1P) but not an enclosed toolroom lathe? I will look some more on their site......
    They did a few years ago....I bought one; also a TL2-P.

If your budget can stretch far enough I think the TL2-P is a better buy with the extra length, diameter through the spindle and a larger motor. However, it is significantly more expensive.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Oh ok good to know. I will look for that then. I see your point about the tl-2 but I can't afford the price right now. We did just buy a new TL-3W where I work and it is a nice machine. I am really happy with my toolroom mill so far (TM-1) even though it isn't as fancy as the fully enclosed VF machines. So for now the TL-1 would have to do.