587,610 active members*
3,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Haas Toolroom Lathes Revisited

Haas Toolroom Lathes Revisited

This may be like kicking a dead mule, but I am about to buy a toolroom mill and I wanted to pair it up with a TL-2, but after reading some of the posts in this forum, I am skiddish. There seems to be alot of issues with their tailstocks. I hope to be able to make up to 42" pump shafts upwards of 3" in diameter which means bearing fits, several shoulders, threading, etc. in carbon and stainless steels. I assume that people having issues are using good centers, so is there a rigidity problem with the tailstocks and the bedways causing chatter and no tolerance holding ability? Some experienced owner's opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you sure it's going to have enough spindle torque for you? You mentioned work in steel, though the diameter isn't that big. The downside of these machines is the lack of a gearbox.

Also: you mentioned 42" lengths and over 3" diameter. If you really need to hold tolerance, you might consider a TL3 (a big enough bore to fit the 3" pump shaft inside). You could do all the roughing work with the tailstock, then do the tight-tolerance finish passes while chucked closer to the headstock.

I would imagine that work-flex would affect your final dimensions as much as the machine. 42" of shaft hanging between centers just isn't going to be that rigid--even if it is steel.
    Greg