588,219 active members*
4,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF7 spindle gearbox leaking

Haas VF7 spindle gearbox leaking

my gearbox is leaking oil, the HFO is telling us we need to replace the entire gearbox and spindle motor, has anyone rebuilt these before, can we get seals and bearing from another source than Haas?

It would nice to hear if anyone has rebuilt a gear box.I have a vf2 that the gear box has started to make noise after we lost power while cutting with a shell mill.A leaking gear box means you need to replace the spindle and gear box???????.Sounds painfully expensive ! We were quoted just over $6000.00 to repair the VF2 this did include 5 hours travel and 5 hours to instal.There will a a $2000.00 reduction after HAAS looks at the gear box to make sure you had not tried to fix yourself,if so you loose.

When the tech was at the shop this am I asked him about this kinda.
    we were talking about vibration, he said there is a vibration test for the gear box. so maybe your vibration was out of spec thats why they said replace it.

We got onto other things after that so I didnt ask about the seal replacement. When he comes back over If we got time I will ask.

But for some information seals of almost every kind are avail through Napa autoparts.
    I have bought them for hitachi's supermax, fadals etc etc, you just need the number.
    best thing to do is goto a bearing a seal company in your area, but in a pinch napa is a place to get them.

Delw

According to the tech at my shop, they are factory sealed and you cant get parts..

He said make sure the oil isnt coming from the drain plug or the hose.
    also said if you just filled it up you may have over filled it.

Delw

we were told $17K with a $5K credit for the old one + labor. we are limping along and will be tearing it down ourselves next week.

we did a spindle motor/gearbox on our VF3 and IIRC the tech said the gears on the spindle motor are shrink fit at Haas and once removed they are junk?? we did end up doing the replace and exchange route after all

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugami man View Post
    we were told $17K with a $5K credit for the old one + labor. we are limping along and will be tearing it down ourselves next week.
    a VF-7 has the same gearbox as the smaller machines, doesn't it?

If so, you're getting ripped off somewhere. I've had 2 new gearboxes in my VF-1. Each was either $4200 or $4400 (don't recall specifically) pre 50% credit for returning the old part with the tech.

It shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 hours of labor to replace the gearbox. That's barely $3,000, including the part.

It might be a 50-taper machine ($$$).
    Greg

yes its a 50 taper machine