587,997 active members*
1,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

haas vs. hurco

Trying to decide between a Haas VF-3YT and a Hurco VMX 50. Any thoughts?

Cool

I have never had a hass, but know people who have, I do own a hurco bmc 30 and a hurco tm8 with NO PROBLEMS always works right With the new software updates now I would go hurco every time

Hello

First the Haas control

If your are planning on running G-codes programs alot, I would go with the haas because it's a true G&M code machine. Also if your running alot of productiuon, I would also choose the haas because you can make a G-code program do anything you want (macros & M codes). As far as speed goes, it you go with the super VF seires mills, Huco can't even come close.

Now the Hurco control

If your doing a lot short run parts and don't have a CAM system to program the mill or a DXF file of the part, you'll love the Hurco!! It's great cause all you have to do is make the tool list and decribe the tool path and you done. Where with a CAM system, You may have to draw the part, do the tool path, post it, and if the post isn't right, edit the post, save it, send it to the machine. Oh shoot! progarm not right, back to the CAM system, edit tool path,post,edit,save, and Send again.

As far as the machine gose. It a tose up. I myself will rate the hurco right next to the Haas. My shop has 11 hurcos and we repleced 5 spindles and 4 screens all ready!! but when they work, there sweeter than honey.

glovebox20,

What about 40 or 50 taper? A few large steel parts but mostly aluminum castings.

glovebox20, I run BMC 30 for alot of short runs. It's great for programing and moving the programing around. No Haas in our (boss's) shop but my son (his boss) has those in his shop. My son does come in to get food from me and watches the Hurco runs and laughs at the slow ATC and it's tool to part speed. He says come on over which is right next door and boy super fast in everything those Haas can do.
    Just like u said about the Cam, when I get a DXF file I can load it on and touch off the tools and make adjustment on the spot and have the part done alot faster than my son can on the Haas. But in the long run they beat me.
    When I'm milling something and see this tool should be done before this tool I can move it around right on the spot, I wonder about if Haas can do that too?

Haas control has cut and paste editing built in, so you can move the paths around.

I bought a machine last year adn was comparing Haas and Hurco. I had experience with both, and chose has, for chip to chip time. options, and the Hurco control always struck me as cheap looking. This particularly stood out when there was one Hurco in a shop full of Matsuura's!!!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by big_mak View Post
    Haas control has cut and paste editing built in, so you can move the paths around.....
    Another thing with the Haas editor is you can copy program segments into the Clipboard and run them from there.

This is very handy if you want to edit something for a tool that is buried a long way down the program: You cut that tool segment to the Clipboard, do your editing, run it to prove your editing then paste the edited segment back into the program.

You could do the same thing in the program and use Program Restart but with a long program it can take quite a while for the controller to get to the Restart point.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The package I'm looking at has Coordinate rotating & scaling, intuitive programming system for mill, user definable macros, high speed maching, ituitive probing system, but no visual quick code. Do i need it?

If your probing is included in the intuitive part, then I wouldn't bother with the VQC
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by cnc@52 View Post
    glovebox20,

What about 40 or 50 taper? A few large steel parts but mostly aluminum castings.
    My shop primary runs 40 taper mills although we do have have one mill with a 50 taper. 40 taper are nice because the tool are light and easy to load in the machine, don't take a lot of bench space to store them and cheap compared to 50 tapper tooling. Also, 40 tapers generaly have a lot more RPM's to them.

But if money wasnt a issue, and you can find a 50 taper that is fast enough, I'll go with the 50 taper in a heart beat. Tool life will be much better, take deeper cuts, cut faster, and more Rigid. If your using a lot of 3/4 end mills or 3" face mills, and/or long tools, I would definaly think about the 50 taper. The 50 taper mill broke down on us one time so we had to run that job on a 40 taper mill and I was a pain in the butt!! The 40 taper did ok for the most part, but we had a insert 1.25 dia. 10* end mill we had to use on the part (4140 forging) and instead of taking it in one pass, We had to do it in two and The finish and tool life wasn't all that great.

That's my thoughs

glovebox20