587,999 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Hand vs. Machine Torch for CNC Plasma Table

Question Hand vs. Machine Torch for CNC Plasma Table

I just placed an order for a 4 x 4 plasam table from Presicion Plasma, and electronics from CandCNC.

My existing plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51, with the SL60 hand torch. To upgrade to the SL100 machine torch adds another $550, or so.

My question is ... other than the convenience of leaving the machine torch attached to the plasma table, is there any other significant benefit to the machine torch, over the hand torch.

Cutting quality will be the same, but it's harder to change consumables in a hand torch usually. (most mounts clamp to the retaining cap on a hand torch, so you have to remove the torch to change stuff)
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_M View Post
    I just placed an order for a 4 x 4 plasam table from Presicion Plasma, and electronics from CandCNC.

My existing plasma cutter is a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51, with the SL60 hand torch. To upgrade to the SL100 machine torch adds another $550, or so.

My question is ... other than the convenience of leaving the machine torch attached to the plasma table, is there any other significant benefit to the machine torch, over the hand torch.
    I use a Cutmaster 52 with a hand torch and it functions fine. I did go to a shielded tip for more protection from splatter at piercing though. I'm not sure what is needed to automate the 51, so I would save the $550 and use it to automate the cutter for torch height controls.

Mike

Mike, will you please explain what a "shielded tip" is?
    Thanks.

A shield on a plasma torch is an electrically isolated copper part that screws on the front of the torch (in front of the nozzle...or "tip" as some manufacturers call it). The shield is designed to keep the nozzle from contacting the plate.....which causes a phenomenon known as "double arcing". Double arc damages the nozzle (tip) orifice, and causes cut quality issues in terms cut angularity and dross formation.

When piercing, some of the molten metal blows back and can hit the front of the torch.....since this molten metal is electrically conductive....it can cause double arcing to the nozzle. With shielded cutting technology in use on the torch....the molten metal hits the shield, not the nozzle and provides for longer life withy better cut quality.

Shield technology was developed by Hypertherm in the mid 1980's.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by bobbillbee View Post
    Mike, will you please explain what a "shielded tip" is?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    A shield on a plasma torch is an electrically isolated copper part that screws on the front of the torch (in front of the nozzle...or "tip" as some manufacturers call it). The shield is designed to keep the nozzle from contacting the plate.....which causes a phenomenon known as "double arcing". Double arc damages the nozzle (tip) orifice, and causes cut quality issues in terms cut angularity and dross formation.

When piercing, some of the molten metal blows back and can hit the front of the torch.....since this molten metal is electrically conductive....it can cause double arcing to the nozzle. With shielded cutting technology in use on the torch....the molten metal hits the shield, not the nozzle and provides for longer life withy better cut quality.

Shield technology was developed by Hypertherm in the mid 1980's.

Jim Colt
    Thanks Jim

Mike