588,197 active members*
4,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > has anyone tapped threads on haas mini mill
Page 1 of 2 12

has anyone tapped threads on haas mini mill

Hi I have a 2002 mini mill 6k spindle machine I want to add rigid tapping to it but would like to know what the machine is capable of.

Meaning is this machine limited to very small holes because of its power
    1/4 20's of can you do 1/2 13's when using the peck tapping this would be
    in alum material.

Also will it tap steel and stainless mabey up to 1/4 or3/8 theads.

I want to tap in a er collet like I do on my vf-3 I am assuming this is possible on the mini mill also.

Thankyou my spending is limited This is only a part time thing for me and do not want to waste $1200.

Thankyou any help would be appreciated Mike

I've been rigid tapping 10-24s a bunch on my super mini mill 2 in aluminum. That works flawlessly. I don't know about larger sizes.

Thank you Gabe for your response.

I need it to do at least a 3/8 thread and would like to know if people are doing this with this machine.

Thanks Mike

Why haven't you just turned it on for the 200 hour trial period and tried it?

The 200 hr trial will work for the software, but make sure you have the encoder on the spindle.

With that said....I have a TM-2 with the same spindle as a mini-mill. I do 1/2" tapping all day into 6061 and it gets a spindle load of about 60%. I have done 3/8 in SS but did not note the spindle load. I use Kennametal tap collets which seem to work really great.

My machine is a 2002 Can I still get the 200 hr trial I did not think they went back that far.
    Thanks Mike

Go in your parameters and look for rigid tapping. If it is in there exit out and hit the estop. Then go back and change the 0 to T.

Tim

Unhappy

Haas told me the the previous owner already used this option well that figures)
    thanks anyway Mike

I tapped m10x1.5 today in CRS today without a problem. I have repeat rigid tap turned on, and I peck rigid tap all my holes.

If you don't want to buy the option, invest in a Floating holder. They work.

As far as tapping, our all our Haas do small tapping, under 3/8 in this shop.

But I think the Minis are 7hp, and we had a couple Kia's back in the day that were rated for 7hp and no rigged tapping, just floating.

Well we were tapping 3/4 taps in 304SS. It loaded out the machines, but 2 machines would do it and 2 wouldn't. I guess the other two where just more tired....

Mike in MN

http://www.cncbasics.com
    http://www.cncbasicsforum.com
    http://www.mastercamforum.com
    http://www.mastercamblog.com
    www.cncbasics.com

But by the time I buy at least 2 of these floating holders and the collets for them I will probably be close to the price of just buying the option.
    Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mls View Post
    But by the time I buy at least 2 of these floating holders and the collets for them I will probably be close to the price of just buying the option.
    Thanks Mike
    Go for it! get the option

Centaur also offers RDT Tapping collets. These collets will inexpensively convert a standard collet chuck into a length compensating, Quick change tapping chuck with square drive.

www.centaurtools.com

Quote Originally Posted by leggazoid View Post
    Centaur also offers RDT Tapping collets. These collets will inexpensively convert a standard collet chuck into a length compensating, Quick change tapping chuck with square drive.

www.centaurtools.com
    I doubt someone with a Haas machine would mess with any quick change tooling. Most people have an ATC.

maybe a picture would explain. If rigid is not an option due to cost look at this tapping collet.

http://www.centaurtools.com/images/collets101/11.gif

Quote Originally Posted by leggazoid View Post
    maybe a picture would explain. If rigid is not an option due to cost look at this tapping collet.

http://www.centaurtools.com/images/collets101/11.gif
    Thanks I saw these before and I dont think it will work like a real tapping head.
    The only type that I think would work are the kind that you never turn the spindle in reverse (like the kind you use in the drill press).

I just wanted to know if I will be able to tap a hole bigger than 1/4 -20.

I will just have to suck it up and get the option.
    Thanks again for your help everyone Mike

G84 will reverse the spindle and work great with a haas 7.5hp mini-mill. All you need is a tap holder with spring that allows the tap to pull down a little while the spindle reverses (length compensating). I have been running cnc machines in an industrial setting since 1984. This is the type of holder I have used in a Miyano BNE-51SY5 - 8 axis turning center when no other solution could be found.
    http://www.miyano-usa.com/products.a...;205-10%20Axis

I don't think you will have any problem tapping bigger than 1/4-20 tap with that machine. You just have to use the right application. Through holes are easy to tap, deep blind holes work better with a form tap. Form taps need a little more torque and work better in certain materials.

My machine wont let me type in G84 that is the problem it is not available until I get the option I need a code to turn the option on the machine has the software and encoder to work you just cant ure G84.
    Thanks Mike

G84 will work fine without the rigid tapping option. Just try it while cutting air.

I mean it wont let me type it in it wont accept that code.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12