588,199 active members*
4,641 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Has anyone upgraded to a Duramax torch?

Has anyone upgraded to a Duramax torch?

Has anyone put a duramax on any of the 100/1250/1650 machines? Any feedback? I have a 1650 and would like to retro to a Duramax torch if it is worth the effort and cost.

Thanks in advance,
    WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Tom,
    I just bought an 85 to replace my 1650 and, if you can get the same results I'm getting by updating the torch (and I see no reason why you wouldn't) it will be money well spent.
    I just got the thing set up and dialed in, cutting 8mm plate at 65amps, 33mm a second, square, dross free....brilliant.
    The main reason I went to the 85 and not just the torch upgrade was, the ability for fast torch change to manual cutting without any hassles.
    Of course. having the latest tech had nothing to do with it.....

Anyone in the market for a cheap 1650???
    Probably help if you live in or near Aussie.....

Mick.
    Home Page

Mick, I had to do some serious math to convert it to old money ( (group) ) but in the end you are cutting 5/16" plate at 78ipm. This is good. I usually cut 1/4" at 80ipm, so that is a pretty good improvement. I think now would be a good time to upgrade. Thanks for the info too!

I am wondering if 85 amp would give the same results on 1/2" plate as the 1650's 60amp parts? The best cuts on 1/2" with the 1650 for us is using the 60amp parts. The speed increase alone would make it worth while.

Anyone cutting 1/2' with an 85?

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

I`m looking at upgrading to the 85 from a Max100.I`m looking for longer consumable life and better quality for longer.By that I mean I can get perfect cuts with the Max100 but consumable life is poor.
    One issue I do have is the reseller says it will pierce 20mm mild steel with the machine torch and one Hypertherm publication says max pierce is 16mm and another Hypertherm says 19mm.Probably a simple explanation but I need it to do 20mm.
    I`ve only started considering the options so have a lot more homework to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Mick, I had to do some serious math to convert it to old money ( (group) ) but in the end you are cutting 5/16" plate at 78ipm. This is good. I usually cut 1/4" at 80ipm, so that is a pretty good improvement. I think now would be a good time to upgrade. Thanks for the info too!

I am wondering if 85 amp would give the same results on 1/2" plate as the 1650's 60amp parts? The best cuts on 1/2" with the 1650 for us is using the 60amp parts. The speed increase alone would make it worth while.

Anyone cutting 1/2' with an 85?

WSS
    Yeah mate....regularly.
    I cut up to 16mm after drawing a line in the sand several years ago, after cutting a heap of 20mm plate with lots of holes and, destroying consumables at a prodigious rate....all that with a 1650 as well.
    12mm (nearest to 1/2") cut with 60 amp consumables, is a walk in the park for the 85, with excellent results....see attached pics.
    Same with 16mm Gridley51 although, with that thickness I'm using 85 amp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12mm-cutting.jpg   12mm-cutting-2.jpg  

Mick,
    I cut 8mm all day today. I tried both 60 and 80 amp parts and found the only way I could get anywhere close to your speed was using 80amp parts (1650/T100M), it did look good and about 1.5 degree bevel. So, It looks like a good deal. At 60amp, it's (close to the duramax 65amp parts) top speed was 60ipm (25.4mm per sec). Close to a 25% speed increase. Or 8hrs work done in 6.

Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Hey Tommy,
    Have you already done the deal and upgraded to the Duramax, 85 or what???

If you have, then one reason for my performance increase may have something to do with power supply.
    Our 3 phase is 415v so it may give a bit more Oomph....maybe Jim will chime in and confirm.

The 60 amp parts are the same as the 65 amp parts Mick uses. You should be operating at 65 amps with these parts on your 1250. The only reason we have a 60 amp process spec is because the same consumables are also used on the Duramax equipped Powermax1000....which has a max output of 60 amps.

Your 80 amp (the max output of the 1250) will be expected to be a bit slower than Mick's 85 amp process.

You will find considerably longer consumable life and as a result...more consistent cut edge angularity over the life of the consumables.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Mick,
    I cut 8mm all day today. I tried both 60 and 80 amp parts and found the only way I could get anywhere close to your speed was using 80amp parts (1650/T100M), it did look good and about 1.5 degree bevel. So, It looks like a good deal. At 60amp, it's (close to the duramax 65amp parts) top speed was 60ipm (25.4mm per sec). Close to a 25% speed increase. Or 8hrs work done in 6.

Tommy

Duramax

I never had the older torch design but i'm very pleased with the duramax on our 1650. I have had a few fouled tips, maybe excessive wear due to the water level being to high. I cut the 1/4 sheets for a hopper on our stone crusher and the edges were beautiful, no dross no grinding, same thing with scrap 1/2" road plate that i cut brackets from and a sprocket for fun (attached pics were at 50"/min).

Hworks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table cuts 001.jpg   table cuts 002.jpg  

Hworks,

What amp parts are you using? Those are nice cuts and at 50ipm, that is double what we cut 1/2" plate at. We use 60amp parts @ 24ipm and can get nice square edges (1 degree or less), what kind of taper are you getting at 50ipm?

Hey Mick, sent you an email. You better take some time off! LOL Actually take what you can when you can.

Thanks,
    Tommy
    www.metaltechus.com

Wss
    sorry, u had asked this question before and I guess I'm lucky I am so busy, I haven't had a lot of time to analyse or do test cuts, those cuts were using 85A parts that had been in the torch for several days and are still there. Initially my consumables were getting smoked fairly quickly but I have increased my pierce times which has helped greatly. My bevel is about 3 deg though, I'm curious, do 65A parts give u your best edge?

All in all I'm more than pleased with the clean cut no dross, it looks machined. I don't need HD plasma, when I looking at cut samples at DT before I purchased a machine I wasn't that impressed with them, and was kind of worried about spending so much money, not anymore!
    Next week I will have more samples of 3/8 and 3/4 and will post results.

Hworks