587,751 active members*
2,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hawk 40 Oiling Problem

Hawk 40 Oiling Problem

I have a 1998 Hawk 40 that is incurring a higher load on the Y axis. I've had the machine one year and when I first got it, the load was not an issue, but over time, it has increased.

I do not run the machine on a regular basis. I also do not run the warm up cycle when I do use it and now I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem. Does running the warm up cycle activate the lube pump more frequently while running? I've already replaced the way lube manifolds thinking maybe some of the metering vales were clogged.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Tom

if you don't use it often then you should really use the warm up cycle before running the machine.
    Not sure on the hawk but i know the newer machines pump every 15 min. does that machine have ac drives or DC drives?

I'm not sure on the drives other than they are made by Baldor.

I'm going to pull the manifolds and see if oil pumps out of each metering valve, then blow out the oil line with compressed air, then run the warm up cycle after and see what happens.

I will report back with the findings.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

Baldor is dc drives. Hurco used yaskawa on the ac drives. Should have a tuning procedure for those somewhere. If you got oil on the Y axis, probably not a lube problem. See me Monday

you will only get drops out of the metering units. there wont be a flow of oil. Check all metering units. I worked on a bridge port clone that had a metering unit that was not metering and flowed oil free through it. it was causing the oil not to reach the X axis.
    Underthetire is correct, with the DC drives they could use a tune up, could also be motor brushes.

Sorry for the late reply. I ran the warm up with the cover off, the wipers off as well. The Y axis did puddle oil at the end of the stroke so I would take that as oil is getting there. I assume the ball screw is getting oil as well, but I have not verified that yet. The X axis was lubed as well.

Is the DC drive tune up something I would be able to do with easily (cheaply) obtained electronic devices?

I'll contact you this week underthetire.

I verified that the Y-axis ball screw is getting oiled too. Build up on the screw after performing a warm-up cycle. So the ways and ball screw are being oiled. Good to know and a relief as well.

I found this site, Hurco Tech Tips and Trouble Shooting for CNC Machine, autobends, At , that gave instructions on amplifier tuning. I haven't looked yet to see what amplifiers I have.

I'm also contemplating swapping the Y-axis motor with either the Z or X. Z is easier to get to, so maybe that one to see if it follows the motor.