588,201 active members*
4,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heidenhain TNC155b Error N-Code Missing

I'm trying to get my mill up and running, and it seems I'm being prevented from entering the M command to start up the spindle. It keeps responding to the M button with the "N-Code Missing" error. It also gives me this error if I hit S.

I was looking at the manuals I downloaded from the Heidenhain old manuals archive to try to find this.

The service manual indicated these errors should be described in the Operators Manual, but I didn't find anything in there (at least not yet).

Thanks much!
    Jim
    Bridgeport Interact 1 Mk2 Heidenhain TNC 155b

Okay I have a few hints. I seem to have found a description of this problem in a chinese manual somewhere, and it indicated that there's no block code so please enter one.

I think what happened is that when I was hitting buttons with reckless abandone, trying to get this thing to do something, I entered a program editing mode, garbled up a line of code, and now I don't know how to get out.

I'm thinking this is one sweet machine though, that handwheel is the coolest computer peripheral I've seen since the trackball on a Taylor MOD300 distributed control system.

Sorry for YAOP (Yet Another Obtuse Posting)

if you are in conversational program edit, it asks you at the end of a line for an m code if you want it. spindle speed is set through the tool call

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    if you are in conversational program edit, it asks you at the end of a line for an m code if you want it. spindle speed is set through the tool call
    What I'm trying to do (for now) is start up the machine, go into manual operation, move the table with the joysticks/handwheel and start up the spindle.

There are some programs on the machine leftover from the previous owner. Since I haven't learned G-Code yet, I'm fairly clueless about it.

Perhaps if I can get TNCRemote working I can move all these programs to the PC (as they may be instructive for my learning G-Code), and delete them from the TNC memory. Maybe then there will be no N-Code Missing.

there should be a button to start the spindle.

Gus, Thanks for your help! And also thanks to MikeInMn who has helped me quite a bit getting this thing up to the point where it is!

Here are the buttons I have to pick from:

When I hit the green button on the faceplate of the mill head, it shuts down the fan. I can then turn it back on with the yellow button at the left of the control panel.

Right now the black switch that rotates left and right doesn't seem to do anything for me.

The emergency stop at both locations seem to work just fine.

Have you been able to work out this issue yet? Please post your fix to this so others of us with this machine can learn also.
    Thanks
    Mike

Have you tried putting a tool in the spindle and turning it on? The interact had a micro switch that would prevent the spindle from starting unless the tool was correctly loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by ppascuzzi View Post
    Have you tried putting a tool in the spindle and turning it on? The interact had a micro switch that would prevent the spindle from starting unless the tool was correctly loaded.
    That's interesting!

I bought some Erickson QC30 DA collet holders and when I tried one, I wasn't sure if I installed it right. I was thinking it might be bad if the first time I turned on the spindle if it went all the way up to 4400 without the tool secured in the taper.

The end mills are all in a different building until I get this figured out. Maybe I should leave the collet out and the collet nut off too

I'll experiment with this. I guess I like this feature you mention, if my machine has it, since I'm on a blood thinner these days.

There is a simple solution to this N-Code Missing, and that is to change the User Parameter from ISO to Dialog. Once I set the user parameter to use conversational instead of G-Code, the N-Code Missing went away (for now).

It was good to verify that the spindle spins up... :banana: