587,174 active members*
3,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Helix cutting problems

Helix cutting problems

I have a part that requires cutting a helix, the width of the groove is 1.125" and I want to cut the groove with a .5" cutter. Using power unwrap, I made the profile of the shape and machined it with rotary movements. Now when the cutter was cutting the cutter was on y zero and there is no compensating for the smaller cutter for the larger groove and never cut the side of the groove properly. You can see the error in the simulator if you watch the side of the cutter against the side of the part as it moves around the helix. In order for the cutter to cut properly the cutter has to move from y zero to a compenstated value. When I turn on the rotary in edge cam the cutter moves to y zero automatically and wont move from that location and so I end up with a incorrect shape. I would have to use an 1.125" cutter to get the correct shape using this method.
    I have attached a copy of the post that I am using and the edgecam part showing the part with the cutter going around the part and you can see the error in the simulator

If anyone knows how to make edgecam cut this part correctly please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You will need the 4-axis simultaneous cycle to do what you are needing. This part cannot be programmed using the standard cycle (roughing, profiling, parallel lace) because the tool will always stay on centerline when in rotary mode.

The 4-axis cycle uses the solid model to determine the tool tilt and does collision checking with the part, holder and tool. This is a license so you may need to update your capabilities so contact your reseller with this part and they can get you the proper licenses and training.

I don't have your version installed... it is pretty dated so I am not attaching the part. However, here's a screenshot of the 4-axis cycle on your part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-12-19_1057.jpg  
    Mike W.

Iam Running 2012 now but I have A laptop With 2010 Installed, I used The 2010 version so there wouldnt be a problem for other poeple to look at the file. I have tried using the 5 axes cycles but I am having trouble getting it to work the way that I need it to. Could you show some more screen shots if what you have selected for features and what method you used to digitize the faces to turn them into features. I have been tring to get this part to machine in edgcam for about 3 weeks and havent had any succes in making it run the way that it is efficent.

IVE NEVER HEARD OF THE "4-axis simultaneous cycle" ....AM I MISSING SOMTHING?

@RIDER... MIKE IS CORRECT.. ROTARY MODE WILL NEVER DO WHAT YOU NEED.. THE Y IS ALWAYS ON 0...
    @MIKE... ANY SCREEN SHOTS OF THE CYCLE? I CANT FIND IT?
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST