587,149 active members*
5,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hello from Omaha

Hi,
    I'm a newbie and have about a million questions so please be patient. I am a hobby metal crafter/ blacksmith and I'm interested in building a CNC drive for my plasma cutting machine. I have some CNC background; I ran CNC shapecutters and drilling machines in my former life and have a little knowledge of G-code, minimal knowledge in CAD and I have a BS in Systems and Network Admin. I have done a little research about stepper motors, controllers, CNC software and I was steered to a free program called Gsimple. I have a couple computers to choose from for the set-up; both running XP Pro and on a home workgroup network. I haven't started on the framework for the axises but near as I have deduced, I will have an x, y, and z and need three motors a controller for them, screws etc. What I am having trouble with is how it all connects. I understand that the stepper control I've been looking at connects to the xp box via USB, but how does the software work. I've run a couple very simple programs i.e. circles and squares etc but all I see is the program run through the g-code. How does it send that to the controller. Is it in the background? Or is there a piece of middleware I still need that makes the Gsimple talk to the controller?? I know these are very basic questions and forgive me for being so long winded.
    Thanks for your time,
    Scott

hello

Hi Scott,

how's your project going? I am from Mexico but will be in Omaha for some 40 days. I would like to see how is your project coming together because I want to start my own project by the end of this year.

Best regards,

Hector

I actually have yet to start construction. I am really still between the pipe dream and brain storming stages I never got any replies to my basic questions so I'm still searching for answers.
    Scott

do you have any ideas about what motors you can use, the control, the software?

CNC software I was steered to was a free program called Gsimple. Hoping to use stepper motors as they seem reasonably priced. As for the controller, that is where I'm stuck. Would love to find some plans for a budget set-up. Price IS an object. Not the biggest hurdle, but significant enough