587,751 active members*
2,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with choices

I'm looking for some recommendations for some machines I want to purchase. I am looking at getting a smaller size lathe, does not have to be CNC. I would like a benchtop style, as I don't need anything too big. Something in the size range of the Harbor Freight 9x20. That will meet my needs as far as size requirements. Will be turning mostly plastic and aluminum parts.

The second item is a similar size cnc mill. Again I am not looking for a standard large size machine as both of these machines will be in my basement. This will also be used to machine smaller plastic & aluminum parts. Largest size for this machine might be in the 10"x10" range. Any help would be appreciated.

The 9X20 lathe is a great choice for hobby and limited run production. I have used one in my business for the last 15 years and it has held up. I would not suggest it for 8 hours per day, day in - day out use as it is not designed for that. I was able to carry it to the basement by myself (I was younger then) One thing to note is there are varying grades of this lathe sold; I would pay the extra and buy one from a reputable dealer with good customer support. I got mine from Jet Tools which fills both these criteria.

Don't know about the mill, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Small cnc mill

The Tormach mill looks fantastic, I'm blown away with how polished their product & documentation seem to be. Unfortunately I needed a machine with over 12" of Y travel, so I purchased a used machining centre instead...
    Maybe one day I'll get one just for kicks.

The lathe that is the most bang for the buck will be the Grizzly G0602 10 x 22.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0602

Finding a mill that will have 10 inches of Y travel and yet still go down steps is very problematical.

The very capable Grizzly X3 can be easily modified to have 7-8 inches of Y though:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill-Drill/G0463

The above machines weigh 300-400 pounds, but can be disassembled into one-man carriable chunks.

If you can settle for a smaller mill that will do about 12 x 5 inches and is CNC ready-to-Go, then this $1700 Taig/Gecko is the CNC most bang for the buck:

http://deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

CR.