588,225 active members*
4,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > help with drill wizzard

help with drill wizzard

Please help me wrap my feeble mind around Bobs definitions within the drill wizzard. It is my understanding that clearance plane ( set within machine setup) is the plane where the drill type canned cycles began and end. Bob defines clearance as safe rapid distance between features as an incremental value from top of stock for the program. Makes sense to me. Bob defines feed plane as height which tool movement changes from rapid rate to feed rate. THIS VALUE IS INCREMENTAL FROM TOOL PATH??? Isnt this used to minimise drilling air? Bobs wizzard uses FEED plane added to feature height to set rapid height. At least thats the way it posts. As in R is above G54 Z0.0 by 0.650

I set F= 0.050 R= 0.75 C=1.000, the tool crashes a .500 wall! When F=0.625 it clears. And no I am not using cutting conditions preset option.

What dont I understand? Is Bob Drill Wizzard different from Haas/Fanuc protocol Does Bob Default G98 and Haas default G99 modal default.

This all works somewhat if I use feed plane as rapid clearance hole to hole, but then I drill.700 air. (I am used to MC 'keep the tool down')

Re: help with drill wizzard

Quote Originally Posted by LeWhite View Post
    Please help me wrap my feeble mind around Bobs definitions within the drill wizzard. It is my understanding that clearance plane ( set within machine setup) is the plane where the drill type canned cycles began and end. Bob defines clearance as safe rapid distance between features as an incremental value from top of stock for the program. Makes sense to me. Bob defines feed plane as height which tool movement changes from rapid rate to feed rate. THIS VALUE IS INCREMENTAL FROM TOOL PATH??? Isnt this used to minimise drilling air? Bobs wizzard uses FEED plane added to feature height to set rapid height. At least thats the way it posts. As in R is above G54 Z0.0 by 0.650

I set F= 0.050 R= 0.75 C=1.000, the tool crashes a .500 wall! When F=0.625 it clears. And no I am not using cutting conditions preset option.

What dont I understand? Is Bob Drill Wizzard different from Haas/Fanuc protocol Does Bob Default G98 and Haas default G99 modal default.

This all works somewhat if I use feed plane as rapid clearance hole to hole, but then I drill.700 air. (I am used to MC 'keep the tool down')
    The drilling "wizard" has been broke for a long time, only way around the issue up to and including V27 is to do a seperate feature for each hole, that way it will go to your clearance plane as set in the stock wizard between holes and then rapid down to the feed height, that way no drilling air for a while
    So if you have clamps/fixtures or are drilling down at depths below the Z0 then it will work OK, bit of a PITA but workable

It has been pretty much fixed in V28, it is way better, finally

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thanks man! If I had of known it was broke a year ago, I could have dealt with that. But I thought I was broke and wasted a lot of time on that.
    The drill wizzard might have been cut and paste from other Bob strategies for the R and F plane GUI.

I've been bitten by this too and was asking about it here. One thing I do is group the holes that are accessible without traversing interfering features in each operation. So if I have 3 or 4 holes in a pocket I'll do them in one operation but holes outside the pocket in another. It's still a little risky but it beats doing each hole in a separate operation. I also leave feed height a bit higher for drilling ops just to add a little bit of cushion without cutting too much air. The way it does this is completely busted compared to all other operations and is certain to generate crashes if you aren't looking out for it. I'll have to wait till v29 or so I guess. Can't afford to buy again at this point.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Geezits now pick order is optimize and optimize is pick order with a start point one hole late. This drill wizzard has termites!