587,958 active members*
3,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help to make universal gear gauge.

When making replacement gears I need to measure the old gears as accurate as possible.
    I also wanted to use a gauge for tool grinding purposes for rack gear and internal gear.
    Metal gear gauges are expensive, only have modules up to 3 or 5, often curved blades and with only one contact angle value.
    So when a colleague asked me to design a all-in-one solution I finally made my gauge but need help with this.

1. Does someone know if "metric" gear will mesh with "Thread per inch" gear?
    2. To cut the gauge blades I lasered plastic sheets but in small corners burns away to much resulting in inaccuracy.
      To make and try the prototype I used scissors, never gonna do that again in this lifetime!
      I tried CNC-knife cutting but get's stuck in narrow corners. Apparently the knife also needs a stepper to turn to the cutting direction.
      Any idea how to accomplish that?

This is a video of my universal gear gauge untill now.

Re: Help to make universal gear gauge.

When making replacement gears I need to measure the old gears as accurate as possible.
    I am not sure you need this.
    Assuming we are talking about simple straight gears:
    You DO need to measure the gear tooth to see what sort of system it fits into.That is sometimes called the 'module' or the DP. But once you know the style of gear tooth, count the number of teeth and that will give you everything you need.
    If you are talking about helicals or more complex things ... dunno.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    You DO need to measure the gear tooth to see what sort of system it fits into.That is sometimes called the 'module' or the DP. But once you know the style of gear tooth,..
    Roger
    The gauge is especially meant for that "sort of system it fits into" and "the style of the gear tooth".
    The difference between 20 and 14,5 degree or between a module 1 and 1,25 is hard to see even with 2 small gears meshing.
    I really want to be sure which gear I replicate before starting the time consuming secure gear cutting job.

I really want to be sure which gear I replicate before starting the time consuming secure gear cutting job.
    If you can't beat them, join them?
    How about making a trial gear out of plastic and trying it in the machine? Should not take nearly as long. Turn the shaft by hand instead of by motor so nothing gets damaged while you see if you have the right dimensions.

Cheers
    Roger