587,238 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Help with *simple* Mastercam turning job

Help with *simple* Mastercam turning job

Hello,

I am new to the forum and could really use some help. I am a High School senior and have to make a chess set as the senior project for our Machining class.

We use Mastercam X2 and I have been drawing my pieces and trying to run the toolpaths to generate the code to run on our machine (little Omniturn Hardinge). I have been having a heck of a time with the toolpaths, and I'm really a bit lost as to what some of the buttons do. I have been reading the Mastercam books and have gone through a few of the tutorials before I embarked on my own project. I have been using Mastercam most ever day for about five weeks now but most of my work has been 2D milling and the lathe work just doesn't seem as easy to grasp for me.

If anyone would be willing to give me a hand I would be happy to host any of my project files on my website so you can take a look at them.

Thanks,

Erik Fellenz

Here is a link to the piece I am trying to run toolpaths on.

www.fellenzfamilyfarm.com/efellenz/mastercam/

File name is PAWN3.MCX

Hi:
    I've been running Mastercam Lathe V9 for about 8 years now in an Aerospace environment. I'd be happy to answer some questions for you. In my opinion Lathe work is
    easier to do because it only involves 2 axis, the setup is easy, and the parts are symmetric (I like symmetry).

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Thanks for the reply Cam1,

I will post some pictures tomorrow to better explain what I am trying to do and having problems with.

Basically this piece is .625 OD, has a sphere shaped end, then a smaller diameter section that leads into a radius at the other end that forms the base for the chess piece. I am able to get the toolpath set for the sphere end but once I get past that I run into problems with toolpaths running into my piece and cutting off things they should not.

I have been creating the toolpaths for the outer contour in many parts, creating a new path for each tool change, is this the right way to do it?

If you would be willing to take a quick look at the piece I could post a MC9 file for you to take a look at.

Thanks for your help

Erik

Hi: One thing we'll need to set are the plunge parameters, these parameters affect how the tool removes material such as undercuts and concave radii. You may have to use a turn/groove toolpath to accomplish "chess" like shapes.
    Keep me posted.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

I have set the plunge parameters for the sections where the tool must plunge into the work. I think I have those settings right as the second half of the sphere machines right. However on the next section the tool cuts the sphere off as it is rapiding in to make the cut. I think this may be a problem with the lead in/lead out but I am not sure how to set these settings?

Thanks Again,

Erik

you have to set the vector (compass) to retract the tool in such a manner that it clears the part on a retract move. Try a turn groove toolpath using a parting tool.
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Thanks for the help so far.

It looks like I have working toolpaths now. The lead in/out vector did seem to fix my problems. On another note do you know why "quick" toolpaths would work where "standard" toopaths wouldn't? With the "quick" toolpaths I never had to mess with the vectors and it worked fine from the get go.

I have a question regarding finish toolpaths. Is there a way to set a finish toolpath to go over the entire profile to take off say .005 and get the piece to size while automatically switching tools to match the tools used on the roughing? Right now I have no finish toolpath and becuase the piece is small with no heavy cuts I'm using finish tooling across the piece and just taking the piece right down to size with no final finish pass.

-Thanks,

Erik

Making a chess set is not "simple". Lots of complex curves and under cuts. It takes a better understanding of the toolpaths than most job shop work.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    Making a chess set is not "simple". Lots of complex curves and under cuts. It takes a better understanding of the toolpaths than most job shop work.

Mike Mattera
    Yes I have been finding that out as I have been working on the piece. I guess simple isn't the right term to use.

I have been making progress though and have all the toolpaths done. Now all that is left is to work the bugs out of the connection between my PC and the Fagor control on the lathe I'll be running the parts on. The control is a Fagor 8025 and I have been having a heck of a time getting the PC to send the code to machine. Possibly I have a bad cable, checking that tomorrow.

-Erik