588,385 active members*
5,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Help! What is Sieg X1, X2, X3?

Smile Help! What is Sieg X1, X2, X3?

I am a newbie that interested in building the mini CNC machine.
    I have almost decided to use drive/motor from hobbycnc.com 200oz-in.
    The only thing remains is choosing the mechanic.
    I have been looking around the discussion where you guys define a lot of mini mill as SIEG X1, 2, 3 eventhough the machines from the website doesn't call it like that.
    So here are my 2 questions:
    1. I am looking to purchase the limited budget from mini mill Harbor Frieght
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47158
    $259. Is this something that you would recommend for startup? (of course, budget does come into "big" factor.

2. Can anyone englight my silly knowledge, why would people refer the mini machine as SEIG?

Thank you soooooo much.

Thats because Seig is the overseas company(China) that makes most of these smaller machines. The one you are refering to is the X1 aka Micro mill. The X2 is slightly bigger and is commonly called a "mini mill." The X3 is the biggest of the Seig mills (I believe), but im not sure where it is purchasable from. I think Grizzly will be selling it soon.

On your first question, I actually have the X1 but only use it for small stuff and it isnt CNC'd (Yet!) But I find it works ok so far, so long as you keep the gibs adjusted nice and snug. There are a few different site you can read up on these small mills and them being converted to cnc, also. I dont know them off the top of my head, but thats what google is for

Enjoy your CNC conversion process and be sure to post up your results.

Dizzy,
    Thanks for the answer. So what you are saying is that both Grizzly and harbor frieght got SEIG products X1, X2, X3??,
    From their product pictures, they don't look anything alike though?
    So just kinda currious if the quality wise is also different since there are many mini mill out there on the market.
    I suppose that for $250 on the X1, it seems reasonable price or if you have advice for better deal??
    Thanks

Sieg machines was smart,beautifully,and full options.but mostly important resaon i think it is them price and size.very good for home and presonal use.
    if your need CNC machinery parts to update your X2,Or SX3,you can contact our sales in USA.

That version of the X1 your looking at is not so good IMO because the travels are grossly over estimated. How does a table 9" long get 9" of travel? its not much different for the Y (looses contact with the guide surfaces as soon as it starts moving). The mill at the link below is called the "super x1" and has a longer table, tilting column and an extended bed to support "real" travels for the mill.

Digits pointed this supplier out to me...
    http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/en-gb/dept_156.html

www.littlemachineshop.com sells kits to convert a regular x1 like that being sold at harbor freight to a super x1L.

EDIT: Would cost me about $600 to buy the X1 from harbor freight and then upgrade to a "Super X1L" using the 2 kits at littlemachineshop (rough estimate including shipping costs). Would be about $50 less if I did not get the saddle upgrade that includes the tilting Z axis