587,202 active members*
2,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hey there Kiwi's

Whats happening out there not seeing much from you guys. I am in need of some help with these stepper motors i got and some other issues. Any one in here from dunedin wanna share stories?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DriverBOB.jpg  

Urro,

What's the problem with the stepper drivers?

I've can probably help a bit with electronics/computer stuff, my actual CNC knowledge is limited to a (very) small machine I built 5 years ago to test software before building the router I've stil not built!!

Cheers, Me.

Y havent you finished you router ?>

Quote Originally Posted by Montag View Post
    Y havent you finished you router ?>
    Unfortunately not...

I got really keen back in about 1999 or so, going into 2000. I joined the cnc/dro yahoo group, and started collecting parts. Then I spent way, way, way too long designing a machine in CAD. To the point I created a design that I couldn't possibly build without access to a mill or CNC router. Given that I only have a small lathe and drill press it sorta just died from there.

I got busy with other things, and never got back to it. I've got a good collection of 100-200oz steppers from large printers, some odds of ground rod, some M10/1.5 stainless threaded rod, and some nice brass nuts I made up, and that's it in terms of a usable router.

And, because I'm a computer geek at heart I played around with software a bit, and built a small 'sorta cnc' machine out of 3 5.25" floppy drives to play with g-codes and see how the software part of it fitted together. It's sitting at work these days, and I occasionally entertain people by drawing silly boxes and lines using an old pen holder and pens off my sekonic plotter I used to use for doing PCB's years ago...

Skip forward to now, I've got keen again, and there is now a wealth of good plans and information, and this site (Not sure if it was here in 2000?). I'm tending towards a rockcliff, but I've really not decided, as I'd like something a little bigger.

Might do something between the rockcliff and the jgro design. I like the look of the simplicity of the rockcliff, and I like the adjustability of the jgro, but not a fan of the torsion box, and skate bearings, too much fidding around for my liking, and not sure I could make it accurately enough.

Lots of stuff has changed in the hobby cnc arena in the last 5 years, so in some ways it's good that I waited. We'll see i the next month or three if I get anything off the ground. I've got a project in mind (Dolls house for my daughter) as a starting point, so need to build to fit the wall sections for that!

How about you? Do you have a machine, or a pile of parts like me?

I have a pile of parts probably not as many as you though. I have just about completed the 3 driver boards and have completed the break out board I brought 3 stepper motors from trademe and have had them running with one completed driver board i got all the plans and info from pmino's site and have been impressed with the outcome so far. Every thing should be ready in two weeks just need to get a table and all the bits that go along with that easyer said than done i think was thinking of mdf or alloy depending on availablility and price of the alloy.

Arrr, so we're about at the same stage then, in the scheme of things.

For my drivers I'm going to build some junk-box unipolar drivers initially, as I have enough bits now to do that. Depending on how they go I'll probably build something better, the linisteppers look good, although I've got low voltage/high current steppers so heat might be an issue, might have to look at a chopper design. I do think I'll want something micro-stepping though..

For the frame I scored some heavy 'U' section alloy, which I'm going to use as 'bracing' on an MDF table. I don't have the gear or metal working skill to go all alloy, but from what I've read on here MDF is more than up to the task.

I have some progress as well, I built up a PC and got EMC working last night, which I'll be using as the controller. I'll bring home my floppy CNC from work tonight and check out what it can do.

Cheers, Me.

Hi have built 3 units and have all sorts of bits and info if I can help, live in Invercargill

More progress,

I created a new thread in the project log forum: here

Quote Originally Posted by John Shand View Post
    Hi have built 3 units and have all sorts of bits and info if I can help, live in Invercargill
    Urro...

Out of curiosity, what type of machines have you built?

And, for the general kiwi population reading this, do you know of anywhere in NZ I can get 1/8 shank (or 3mm) carbide upcut spiral end mills? 1/8 / 3mm and / or 1/16 / 1.5mm cut.

I rang a couple of places on Friday and drew a blank.. I'll be looking for square and possibly ball nose 1/8th tooling for the dremel to fit my junkbox router, to cut wood & plastic, maybe some thin brass/alloy as well...

This all assuming that an end mill is the right tool for the job!

4' * 4' plasma/router with stepper motors home built drives used mach5
    and parrell port rack and pinion

8' * 4' plasma router servo motors and gecko drives rack and pinion

same as above with y axis ballscrew touch screen using deskcnc and serial port

I use a laminate router with 1/4" collet, cant advise where to get that small endmills all I have ever used, have had 1/4" or 6 mill shank

Hey Kiwichris that mini router is looking sweet im currently drawing onw and is starting to look rather like a mini though i was hoping to be able to have 500mm X 750mm cutting area what will yours do.

John:

Nice..... And yeah, 1/8 seems to be uncommon. I was orignially looking at a 6mm bosch trim router, but as I'm building the wee machine to cut my teeth, I have developed a need for 1/8th tooling. Not too much of a problem, as they are cheap enough to mail order from the other side of the planet if I can't find any locally. :-).

Montag:

The wee one will work out to be around 220x180x60, give or take. Enough for doing some model bits, jewelery boxes etc.

My end goal is to be able to cut 2m x 1m or so, but that'll be a wee way off, unless I win lotto!

I'm fast realising that the larger machine will have to be a moving gantry design, which adds to the complexity and nervousness somewhat. Once I've got this small machine out of the way I might do some experimentation with the skate bearing layout many people are using on here. Linear bearings are an instant killer of the budget for DIY stuff, and for a large gantry you need something good and solid on the traveling axis.

I have only 'OK' metal and woodworking skills, suffitant for making furniture and decks from wood and model parts from alloy. That means anything I build has to be over-engineered and adjustable. Getting the alignment of a CNC machine 'out of the box' without CNC machining help is probably not a reality for me at this stage.

Cheers, Me.

Hi Guys

can you book your self into a pollytech engenninearing corse, as that would give you access to gear and skills,

as said b4 I have collected and still do all sorts of parts linear rails bearings
    heaps of stepper motors that I dont use and info, so give us a email [email protected] if looking for stuff I might be able to help

I wouldn't mind doing a polytech course or two on engineering, and some other things, but I'm the personification of the statement 'if you want something done, ask a busy person'

Also, it's a 1 hour drive to CHCH polytech from here, which makes it a bit of a pain to do night classes.

Thanks for the offer of help sourcing bits, I'll be sure to give you a yell when I start planning a larger machine...

Gidday all

Just thought I'd stick an offer out there and see what comes of it
    I'm offering engineering help to those out there already building there own setups Central North Island, Hawkes Bay area..... there is a catch I"m interested in learning how to build a plasma table, so if your keen to talk about what your up to I'll give ya a hand to build it or some of the bits you'd like

Cheers Reece

Quote Originally Posted by De Ranged View Post
    Gidday all

Just thought I'd stick an offer out there and see what comes of it
    I'm offering engineering help to those out there already building there own setups Central North Island, Hawkes Bay area..... there is a catch I"m interested in learning how to build a plasma table, so if your keen to talk about what your up to I'll give ya a hand to build it or some of the bits you'd like

Cheers Reece
    what you want to know? I have built 3 and got better every time
    have a spare NCPOD that you can use with mach3 usb 6 axis

I use deskcnc and find it great, works well with touch screen as well

what kind of engineering help are you offering? (machining or design)

can you add photos to this post?

John

what you want to know?
    lol what a loaded question... Long term set my lathe and mill up with a bastadised CNC so repeat jobs are a set and forget
    To learn how to do this I thought I'd start by building a plasma table

have a spare NCPOD that you can use with mach3 usb 6 axis
    Argghh yea, I understand its a USB connection thats about it thanks for the offer I'll leave it for now, till I know what it is and how to use it best

what kind of engineering help are you offering?
    at this stage machining... I can offer some design but that would be from a mechanical view to overcome a design issue... nothing control or electrical

The offer of help is a chance for me to help out someone who dosn't have access or skills on lathe, mill or tig etc and in return I get to see what and how they are doing there control setup.... its all well and good looking at pictures and reading but having something infront of you and someone who has more knowledge is the differance between me building a copy of someone elses or understanding what I'm building and why and how i can modify it to work better for me... and more to the piont without me trying to overcomplicate things....

As for pics what you want to see, heres a build thread from a 4wd I'm working on
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505275
    It dosn't realy have much bearing on this forum but will give you an idea of what I'm capibile of

Cheers Reece

i just went and had a look at the pirate web site and what you are doing to that shell-shocked Lemon (it's going to be like a pushbike turning into the Terminator).

i can imagine you building a really ginormous cnc device that machines entire body and chassis out of one billet and you just looking at it, scratching your head and saying, "Well i ain't as good as those other guys". Rubbish, you are better, because with you it is an artform NOT a job. My brother-inlaw is like you cept he converts blade thin rust to gleaming hotrods.

Oh, i am old and know nothing but i do love those beads, what are you running? (This is he who has never used anything more than a Transarc Tradesman).

So many questions.

Have you done the same to your log truck? Now there would be a monster.

i would be happy if i had a Renault 12 aka Dacia 4WD all over built - there is only 1 in Australia at Airport West in Melbourne Vic but they are still making them new in Roumania as the Dacia (? spelling) company bought the tooling and dies from Renault.

Be well

Tom

lol I don't know about artform... that imply's creativity and expression, I'm to practical for that, I just seem to see answers to problems from a different angle...
    As for a truck, naa I'm the real deal I don't drive a truck, I cut the trees down and yes every bit of my gear has some mod that I've done to make the job work better as for my work truck its only a toyota dyna but its about to get a tweek... I'm about to put surf axles, running gear, and gearbox into it to give it 4 wheel drive, just so I can get into site on wet days...

I remember the dakar's they are a mean looking kit... why not make one of your own hell you could make yours better the kit dosn't do much to the suspension, motor/trans, find a donor truck and start with some thing small give it a few yrs of fun and development it'll be a beast

As for the welding lol after laying enough bird**** I eventually learned, I'd suggest doing a polytec night course its alot easyer than the trail and error approch, I went through
    for the books most of my welding is done on a liquid arc, migmate 210 and I wouldn't recomend it to a learner its a pig... a strong pig, but its got bugger all adjustability, your style has to adpt to it not the other way, I do have other welders but they are a bit more expensive so I don't do as much with them....

Cheers Reece

Hi
    I am in Dunedin also.
    Got a 1350 by 1250 router running with a Black and Decker router head
    because it was easy to fit.

Page 1 of 2 12