588,033 active members*
5,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > HIP4082 - Continuous High Side with Charge Pump

HIP4082 - Continuous High Side with Charge Pump

Hello,

I'm new to CNCZone but I found this site being populated with expert people !
    I'm interested in designing a DC/DCC Booster for my railroad model. This booster is essentially a H-Bridge being used in anti-phase mode. I want this booster to support DCC mode (roughly a 20kHz signal) as well as DC (continuous) signal. Voltage will be less than 20 volts and current intensity would be less than 5 amps. And last, it must support polarity auto-reverse for an adjustable trip current.
    I've looked at the LMD18200 (from NS) which almost all what I needed but this chip is too clever as it doesn't permit to detect short-circuit (while it protects itself against this condition).
    Now I'm considering the HIP4082 (for which I got already some samples) but I'm wondering how this device will behave in continuous mode. I'm thinking of using two charge pump circuits (one for each H-side MOSFET) to provide the HIP4082 with two floating supplies between AHB and AHS pins (same for B side). Has anyone already experienced that?
    An other option could be HIP4080/81 but at this time I have not been able to get samples for a prototype.

Regards

I tryed to build a 3 phase stepper driver with the HIP4082 but stopped trying because too many ic's got defective during test. I used isolated floating supplies for the highside driver. Under low load conditions it worked ok but with steppers connected and normal load of 3A I did not got it working properly. I tryed all the protection methods I found but still not a stable driver so I switched back too Nmos / Pmos fets and transitor driverstages.
    I did not have the proper measuring equipment to find out the real reason why the chips broke. But searching the net I found a lot off problems with this driver chip.

AbSat

Hello,

I'm now considering the HIP4081 which provided the necessary charge pump. I've asked Intersil for samples but may not receive them (hobbyist).

Any good/bad experience with this chip? (I see not so good feedback for HIP4082)