587,698 active members*
3,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

hobby cnc controller card

I have purchased the 3 axis controller and can't seem to figure out how to mount the 50w resistors on the aluminium plate provided since the layout template provided calls for 4. The board has spaces for 8 and I have been provided with 6 resistors. Confused, has anybody else put this board together?

The board is designed to have up to 4 axis. It has space for 8 but only needs 6. Put 4 on the top and two on the bottom.

Bill

My electronics understanding is going to be just as much of a
    learning curve as understanding the mechanics was/is. In conjunction with this board I am considering building the board from Geoff Williams book - CNC Robotics -build your own workshop bot- Has anybody tried that one?
    Mcmasters' service is absolutely fantastic I placed my order last week Sunday and by Thursday DHL South Africa had called to tell me my package was in customs but true to our local customs department there is some delay due to red tape as usual! Normally when ordering from other sites I wait between 4 -6 weeks for arrival. Cudos to McMaster!
    Thanks for the reply I always seem to complicate things first.

I just built the board and I put 3 on top and 3 on the bottom. That way they are directly over the PCB holes. If you put 4 on top, you will need to make your wires longer than the instructions as the resistor lead will be misaligned with the PCB holes. It will work both ways.

Mike

Yes, I have the Robotic Workshop book from Geoff William. Excellent book, I received it about two weeks ago and have been studying the papers on the l297 and 298 IC's and am progressing well.

I am understanding his circuits enough that eventually, I should be able to rebuild the circuits to handle more amps as they would have to, and generally know everything about the circuit as to get the most out of my machine.

Won't be using too much out of the book except for that.

MB0978 is correct. disregard my post. Three on top, three on the bottom. Guess I was sleepy at the time.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1010173.jpg  

Looks like the Hobbycnc board has changed quite a bit since I put mine together 2 years ago. (my board only has 3 axis capability).

Does the kit still use the 6 pin (male/female) connector plugs to hook the motors to the board?

That was the biggest problem I had with the assembly. Loose connections on the solder tails of those connectors and poor contact when plugging it together. It was probably due to my inexperience with soldering. I finally took them out an used a terminal block. Been running good since.

Bill

Hello,

Could someone please tell me what diodes ( type/part number) are used in outputs from the 5804 chips on the hobbycnc board?

Thank you in advance,

Ballendo

P.S. I asked Dave over the holiday weekend but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Originally posted by ballendo

Could someone please tell me what diodes ( type/part number) are used in outputs from the 5804 chips on the hobbycnc board?

They are 1N5404.

Mike

Mike,

Thank You.

B

Originally posted by mb0978
    They are 1N5404.

Mike

Thanks for the pic that helps a lot. The connectors have been ordered and thy seem to me the best way to go.
    Pardon the delayed reply "real" job getting in the way. But I have used the time to poke around the workings of the laser cutter they are using to cut diamonds at the office. Awesome piece of equipment.

I don't think they are sell the board anymore.