588,490 active members*
4,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > hobby cnc mentor needed in Minneapolis area

hobby cnc mentor needed in Minneapolis area

I need some advice on choosing and sourcing stepper motors or servos, software like linuxcnc or mach3, a controller board etc so I can start experimenting. I'm thinking of plasma or router tables, or cnc on my shoptask 3 in 1 lathe.

This is a hobby. I'm as interested in making the tool as making something with the tool.

Thanks!

[email protected]

HiYa BigPete,
    There is an old adage amongst racers that goes " Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" The point is Money will guide the recommendations greatly. EMC is free, whereas Mach3 is pretty much turnkey. Servos are fastest most accurate, most expensive, steppers can lose steps, many levels of "suitability", ditto for controllors. Gecko seems to be the most recommended choice in here, as for motors I would go with their recommendation. Ballscrews again most accurate most expensive, acme screw cheap, R&P in between, both have lash issues & mediocre accuracy without encoders, though probably good enough for wood or weld fabricators. For super light duty, light timing belt works well, heavier timing belt should work in clean environment, chain works for some dirty type environments I. E. plasma cutters . . I wouldn't count on it's accuracy, simply because chain stretches. to that end I imagine so will timing belt.
    I hope something in my rant was helpful.
    JS
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Think of this as a way to learn CNC by doing. Say I just want to see three motors turn without worrying what I'll eventually drive with them.

So, very cheap to start, invest in more quality if I start a real project.

I get an old desktop and install ubuntu (free)
    I install linuxcnc on it. (free)

Then what? I was hoping to set up a learning lab for under $300. Is this possible. I think for about $600 I could get a kit that could actually do some work but it's just a hobby so there is no return on investment in dollars, anyway. I like learning and thats worth something.

Can you recommend a specific board, motors and whatever that I will be able to set up and run? Something with good videos or manuals on the web or whereever? There's Hong Kong kits or I could call gecko; I would like to say send me x board, x motors, etc or just order them online without talking to anyone. Lots of these folks don't talk on the phone.

Anyway, after I have the components, I need some way to write G code, or find some sample g code programs (like cut a 4" circle at x steps per minute). Do I need a seperate program or does the linuxcnc do this?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

kind of an old thread. but i am looking for some basic help look see for the mach3 portion of this cnc hobby thing, as far as routers are concerned I think the Mechmate is the way to go either for the wood router or plasma.

happy Hunting
    archie =) =) =)

I only got as far a procuring an xp machine and loading Mach3. No driver boards or servos yet and still unsure which way to go with that.

I did find a guy who has a shoptask patriot driven by Mach3 and have visited him a couple of times.

you can email me directly at [email protected] if you want to set up a talk time.

Thanks!