587,833 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

homebrew CNC Controller

I was wondering about designing and building a CNC controller like the ones built the HSM magazine.. but..

I have some used Fanuc 6 milling servos that I would like to use. I think I have enough for a 3 axis + spindle.

I also would like to use a 80C31 / 8031 or 8051 or equivalent micro or like a PIC 16F or an AMTEL AT89C type processor. The EPROM chip I thought about using would be the 27C type.. like 27C56, etc.

The main board size would at least 12" x 7"

What connectors & cables,would I need, etc?

Greg

Ideal Pic for stepper control

The PIC18LF4431 PIC Microcontroller is an ideal chip for stepper driver control. It is vastly superior to the 8051 chips
    It has multiple timers, deadtime control, quadrature control interface, hall sensor module, 40 mhz oscillator, 256 bytes of data EEprom, 8 kbytes of Flash memory, 14 bit PWM module
    This chip is optimized for motor control
    The pic 18 control set is much superior to the Pic16 set

See the data sheet here.
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/39616b.pdf

I was able to buy chips on EBay for $5 each.
    They are in the mail. This will be my winter's project. (after I lay cement in the shop!)

Cool!

Thats the information I needed.

I may also work on a homebrew DRO for the lathe! 2 axis 7 digit

Greg

I have also concidered making a DRO for my mini-mill and lathe. Do you have plans to make your own scales as well? Do you have a source for cheap scales? I have looked at converting digital calipers for this task. I believe this could be the hardest part. Harbor freight sells a 12" travel (made in china) digital caliper for around $50.

I thought about this. I may eventually have a company make adequate scales, if they cannot be purchased.

Greg

Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Thanks for the links.

some time ago I heard about a homebrew DRO.

It was either a web page or a mag article.

It was after 1997 but before 2001. I found it when I'd searched for the early shooting star DRO. it was similar but it had several 7 segment LED's in each row.

Included on the page was the schematic, possibly a layout diagram of the parts, a picture of an assembled unit, and text about the unit and probably a link to the program used.

It'd be nice to see this DRO again just as an example.

It may have been that the owner took the page off the site.

Greg

could this be what you're looking for
    Display
    no pcb available, a lot of component too. (tho I have no idea how much it would cost) and me not familiar with the 8051 uProc.
    comes with source tho.
    mhel
    "This is intentionally left blank."

YaY! Thats the one!

Good work finding it!

I looked forever tryin to find this one. I think I might do up this one as is since it's 3 axis. Maybe the 3rd axis could display SFM or RPM.

There may be other designs similar to this one. If so I'd love to see them.

Interesting that this one uses 9 Pin DIN keyboard connectors like the ones from OLD PC/AT/XT computers, and others.. instead of a shell plug or a Cannon connector or some 9, 15 or 25 pin D connector.

My next question would be about encoders, scales and limit switches.. then about mounting brackets. Which ones?

I also wanted to build a version of the CNC controller project that is in Home Shop Machinist magazine. (I always seem to want to built these type projects in that mag.)

Which makes me wonder, is there any DRO projects in there?

Greg