588,190 active members*
7,230 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question How Can I build my own 3 Axis CNC Mill

Hi Guys
    I am a newbie and I didnt know where to place this at so moderators please move it to the correct forum please. but my main question is there anyway I can make a 3 Axis CNC Mill for cheap doing it homemade if so can you tell me what parts I need to do this Thanks Tim.

If you don't already have a mill or lathe to bootstrap with consider it impossible. What's your budget? Probably your best bet is to start with a Sieg X2 ($459.99 in HF Catalog, 44991-2RXH) and build it out with mods.

well my budget is around 480 dollars. and I would like to hook up a computer to it so it can get CAD drawings also.

Then it is impossible. You want to make precision arts but pay peanuts (styrofoam ones at that) to get it done. Drives, motors, power supply, computer and the program to run them will set you back al you have to spend and the machine isn't even purchased yet. Yes, there are cheaper, but I read on another thread what you want to do, and you won't do it for your budget. Motors are $45 ea. You need three. Drives are $150-$350 for three axis. Power supplies are $50-$120, a used computer is about $100. Right there I see $450 and you haven't bought your control program which is another $130 at least unless you want to mess with EMC2.

Yes, a cheap wooden CNC router is possible on your budget. Doing what you want to do, isn't.

I can do up to a grand if needs too.

google for some kitchendrawer and m8threadrod cnc like projectlog.

my experience is that learning and cheap and fast is a very bad combo.

when you need to keep it cheap and go for salvaging printersteppermotors and mdf and kitchendrawerslides you'll have a hack of time getting it all aligned not even to mention the electronics.That's is the having fun way i guess but ain't suitable when you don't have months or like me years to be fooling around.

tell us what tools you have at your disposal already ,maybe that'll brighten up your chances.
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

He wants to make fuel injector throttle bodies out of aluminum. A drawer slide router isn't going to cut it. You are honesty looking at $1800 minimum in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    He wants to make fuel injector throttle bodies out of aluminum. A drawer slide router isn't going to cut it. You are honesty looking at $1800 minimum in my opinion.
    Could this be done using a Sieg X1? The X1 fits his budget:

Sieg X1 (HF 47158): $319.99
    CNCFusion Micro-Mill kit #1: $269
    Xylotex 3-Axis Stepper Kit: $345
    LMS 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 2MT Collets: $26.85
    American Carbide 2 Flute 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 EM: $30.19

Total: $991.03

thats a mighty nice shopping list there Britton.

but only if he already has things like dialindicators and clamps ,vices ,endswitches housings and by this stage things like breaking gears start to happen and you need more time and $$ to start researching and converting the thing.

and cutting anything on the x1 takes ages anyway if it weren't only for the need to get to know the machine and it capabillity's/limits?
    Finally CHIPS you can have as much as you can without the doc. complainting about your cholesterol.

dont get discouraged

I see people telling you it cant be done. Thats just not so!
    I have built two 3 axis machines in my garage with excellent results for under
    $1000.00.
    My latest has an x travel of 12" and y travel of 10".
    Z travel is about 5".
    I use THK liner slides and bearings for all axis and cheap stepper motors for lead screws.
    It is very accurate and can do excellent engraving and light milling in brass and aluminum.
    If you would like some pics and more info you can email me at:
    [email protected]
    YOU CAN DO IT

i kind of felt there's a difference between A or even tree machines costing 480dollars and diving into machining and building a metal capable cnc-machine even only 2-axe machine since it will cost you to setup a workshop capable of building these machines doesn't it.

All it takes to be succesfull at this a is lot of know-how , the hardware is out there like many mentioned.Keeping track of auction's on AND off-line is a must so all i'm trying to say is cheap takes time and fast takes money AND thats just the way it is unless someone has been holding out on me.

good luck m8.

(wow aturoguy 1000bucks .you must be one'a'them guys you just can't beat at negotiating)

check this out.granted he has a lathe.don't know what kind of money he's got into it.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...illing+machine

This is an area where a lot of projects fail. No plan. Sometimes the "how can I make this" doesn't get completely fleshed out.
    CNC is not really a good 'one off' process and gains benefit in producing a number of parts (not a hobby perspective...so some will disagree).
    So it mostly comes down to how many parts and what are they worth? If the parts will pay for the machine, then problem solved....get a loan and make parts. If that route is too expensive, then maybe another route...outsourcing. Make the idea and drawings and let a job shop make the parts..work on the money end of things. Don't discount a local tech school...some like a real time parts project which may be a matter of supplying materials.
    Getting job done for cheap (building the machinery) rarely solves a need. Unless the need is to learn how to build machines, learn electricity, learn electronics, learn machine controls, learn CAD/CAM, learn machining, etc....doesn't leave a lot of time to for the end product.
    It is all great if the quest is to learn everything about the path to building and running CNC machines but not a good path to a part that part of the real interest.
    MechWerks

I'm into building my own CNC right now. I feel for you because I am like you and not part of the experts yet. I have the base completed minus the drive screws, (that is, I have a base I can move around in XY but I have yet to buy one ballscrew, and another ballscrew is mounted to the carriage but not secured to the base yet.) I think I am just over the hill of the point of no return (i.e. giving up.)

I would certainly listen to the guys on here, my experience is following what they say. To me, learning all about CNC was like pealing away an onion. I learnt more, only to find out there was more I didnt know or didnt think about. However, I knew enough going into this that I would spend *at least* 1500$ and would still only be the beginning of my CNC journey. But having a CNC mill machine has been a dream for about 15 years so its time I made it come true.

By reading a lot about other CNC machines and different designs I figured out what each design was capable of milling. If you are making motor parts with tight tolerances, you bet, you will pay dearly for the machine to do it...a lot more than just paying a shop 60$/hour or less. (In fact, I know a guy that will do it for 25$/hour in Michigan if you want his contact info. He has the machinery to do what you want.) Being your first time, you will probably not reach your tolerances since you are learning like me.

Finally, definately use CAD to design your machine! I have mine fully modeled and it has been a big timesaver as everything is lining up so well in the real model.

Good luck! Colin

Guru don't give up. I've been peeling the onion for 2.5 years. In a way it is like pounding your head against a wall, and in a way it's rewarding. I too was going to do it all on the cheap. Was gonna show em it was possible... Got an XY table off of eBay and found it looked nice in the pictures but...

Got some size 34 steppers for free and WOW, 300 oz/in. Then I found out they were 5 amp steppers and almost all cheap drivers only go to 3amp.

The leadscrewson on the XY table were Junk, There were no leadscrew capture bearings, the slop in the leadnuts was laughable, and the ways were coarsly machined. I luckily had a decent manual BP1. After alot of finagling things started to come together, but I found a sweet deal for a CNC BP. God, did that a$$hole seeme coming. I'm deaf and in a wheelchair, so he showed the machine in such a way as to hide all of its flaws. Once i got it home and hooked up, I was out of money, out of my manual mill as i sold it to raise the CNC money, and had a white elephant. The jerk had skipped town and left all his creditors looking for him. I wasn't the only one screwed.

Things are progressing again, Got rid of the white elephant, got something better, got the parts almost all made for the XY table and will sell it once it is finished and set up with motors. Would I do things differently? Oh yeah. I'd not think cheap and save/ steal/ borrow/ beg to raise the bucks to at least start with a decent used mill. I wouldn't buy again as a novice without finding someone that could keep me out of trouble on a first purchase I now think it'd be worth the cost of paying someone just for their experience when I went to look. People take prospective car buys to mechanics don't they?

Hind sight is always 20/20. Can you do it for cheap? Oh sure, yeah. Can you do it as a novice for cheap? Very, very hard even with machine knowledge. Can you do it as a total newbee for cheap and cut soft metals accurately? You won't do it with hand tools. Wood router? Sure,the JGRO comes to mind. Metal? flat out no.

Quote Originally Posted by nbritton View Post
    Could this be done using a Sieg X1? The X1 fits his budget:

Sieg X1 (HF 47158): $319.99
    CNCFusion Micro-Mill kit #1: $269
    Xylotex 3-Axis Stepper Kit: $345
    LMS 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 2MT Collets: $26.85
    American Carbide 2 Flute 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 EM: $30.19

Total: $991.03
    Hi, I'm a newbie aswell and also looking to convert a SIEG X1. I'm interested to know how far you've got and what parts your using. The problem I face is the fact that I don't know anything about electronics, I'm ok with the mechanics and CAD involved, but home/limit sensors and drivers baffle me.

If you, or indeed anyone has any advice for a novice I'd be very grateful.

P.S. The American Suppliers don't help much as I live in England.

Thanks