540,536 active members*
5,136 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Mill > How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle
    Registered

How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle

The spindle takes as much as 10 seconds to come up to speed.

Does anyone know the Gcode needed to make the machine wait for 10 or more seconds to givw the spindle time to reach the target RPM?

JA

Registered
    Your code should have a p value at the beginning after an m03 command, set it to 10.
    Or add a G04 p10 in the line after the M03

Better yet tune your vfd to spin up faster

What cam are you using?

Sent from tapatalk

Or better yet, go to Ports and Pins > Spindle Tab, and set a 10 second spindle spin up delay.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    I am using MeshCAM. I could change the setup template for Mach3 and add the G4 statement there.
    I would prefer to do that because I can more easily document (for others) what I did - right in the Gcode file.

I would also like to improve this delay by having a pop-up info box with instructions to adjust the spindle speed then press OK to continue. I don't know if that is possible.

The ShopBot that I used at TechShop Detroit uses it own language instead of Gcode. They added a PAUSE command and the ability to create a pop-up info box.

Now I have an Industrial CNC machine which is straight Gcode and don't know how to get the ShopBot features.

As for the spindle spin-up rate, I don't seem to have the ability to change that. That is one of the deficiencies of the ICNC machine. I'll be posting another thread asking how to connect Mach3 to the FVController so that I can program the spindel speed that I want in the Gcode.

Till then, I need to put up instructions on how to manually set the speed and wait for it to reach the target RPM, or in this case the target frequency.

Thanks for the G4 info. I'll start there.

Let me know if you have any ideas on the pop-up info box idea.

JA

Is this a VFD spindle?
    There should be a way to set one of the VFD outputs for up-to-speed signal, whenever a M3/M4 is issued, it waits for the up to speed signal input, this is how it is done on commercial machines.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    "Is this a VFD spindle?

Yes, it is a Variable Frequency inverter driving the spindle. I'll have to get the make and model and will post it in the related post early next week.

reference
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/machin...04_contol.html

"There should be a way to set one of the VFD outputs for up-to-speed signal, whenever a M3/M4 is issued, it waits for the up to speed signal input, this is how it is done on commercial machines.

This is a 'so called' commercial machine.
    The problem is that I have no manual for the controller and it is like pulling teeth from a live alligator to get any useful information out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by checkers1811 View Post
    The problem is that I have no manual for the controller and it is like pulling teeth from a live alligator to get any useful information out of them.
    Very unusual if they don't have a manual or at least one one on line, did you get it used? As normally you would have had one with it?
    You would need one to hook it up and configure parameters?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Al,

No documentation of sufficient detail. As I said, it is like pulling teeth from ... CNC Routers | Industrial CNC Routers | Afforadable CNC Routers | Intergrated CNC Routers | Router Systems

I really question their claim to a commercial machine. Any other machine that I purchase or ordered new had a complete documentation package for the maintenance department. This company is very far behind the curve in this.

JA

If you can get the make/model of it, it may help.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Easy peasy as they say.... click on Config and choose Ports & Pins then under the Spindle Set Up tab you will see General Parameters. You can enter how many seconds you want the delay. I have mine set at cw down and 12 secs and works great.

The advantage of the VFD Up to speed is, if for some reason the spindle does not start, there is no damage to work or tool.
    Al.

Albert E.

Question Re: How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Is this a VFD spindle?
    There should be a way to set one of the VFD outputs for up-to-speed signal, whenever a M3/M4 is issued, it waits for the up to speed signal input, this is how it is done on commercial machines.
    Al.
    Sorry to resurrect an old sleeping thread but I can't find anything on how to implement this 'wait for spindle up to speed' feature.

Is this a Mach3 feature I haven't run across yet?

Or after hooking up a signal wire from the VFD to a CNC controller input do I have to manually code a custom M3.m1s macro? Or perchance is there an example macro laying around somewhere that someone could share?