588,570 active members*
4,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How do I transport a Tree 425?

How do I transport a Tree 425?

Hello, I have the opportunity to pick up a Tree 425 from work for scrap price. They can load it onto a trailer at work. My question is what is the best way to unload it from a flatbed carhauler type trailer once I get it to my house? The machine is supposed to weigh 6000 lbs. I have unlimited lumber from a lumber mill to build ramps. Can I put it on pipes and roll it down the ramp with a winch into the work area, then roll it into position on the pipes? Thanks.

Casey

First and foremost, I would highly recommend placing the machine on a large wooden skid prior to loading it onto the trailer.

Ramps and pipes should work okay. The shallower the ramp the better. You can also consider rolling the skid onto an elevated platform (elevated by timber), and once it's completely off the trailer, lower the platform slowly by removing the timber one piece at a time, alternating sides (Ancient Egyptian style).

Once you get the machine in your shop (still attached to the skid), you can roll the machine off the skid with pipes and more timber.

Toe jacks and prybars are your friend.

Thanks! Would you mind describing the typical skid construction? I've never built one before. Do you think a f150 with trailer brakes could handle this beast? I have to transport 43 miles on relatively level terrain.

you said its a car trailer,im not sure it can handle 6000 lbs in such a small surface area
    it might take a 6000lb car due to the load being spread out,this load is in a 3x4 area,might,but like gacern says,a skid would help,is your trailer oepn in the center?
    do you know any one with a car flat bed,the work great with the tilt bed,i used them before you can almost set it down in your garage

hey congrats, sounds exciting

Quote Originally Posted by Glacern View Post
    First and foremost, I would highly recommend placing the machine on a large wooden skid prior to loading it onto the trailer.

on that point i strongly disagree. getting a machine, especially a 6000 pound one, off a skid without overhead lifting capability might be the most difficult home millwright/rigging job there is. Have you done it? I have. its really tricky and dangerous and i would avoid it at all costs....the only exception would be a machine big enough that it stuck off the ends on two sides, done that too and with stout hardwood blocks its fairly easy.

if you do go the trailer route, make sure you block under the trailer once you take off centre.

safety is paramount. plan every step. 6000 lbs on any kind of incline can be very dangerous...it'll start going and crush anything in its path. rig the winches carefully as it is top heavy. its also a heck of a load to carry on a trailer. safety safety safety. once on the ground (level) , with benefit of toe jack, rollers and a 5' pry bar, you can do anything. move my third mill 50' up the driveway single handed a few weeks ago, figure it was close to 4000 lbs. the harry part is getting it on the ground, afterward its just hard work.

you do NOT want to move a 6000 lb mill on a pallet truck, its a tip over accident waiting to happen. lathe ok, mill no way. Its a tipy three point base and the load has a high centre of gravity....not the same as lifting it with a tow motor. Plus, under that much weight a pallet truck will be flexing and wobbling like a rubber band. I just tried this with the 4000 lb mill....as soon as there was slack in the slings i knew there was NO WAY this was going to work. yank the skid out and drop it on the pavement. Have a mill fall, and best case scenario is a 6000 lb mill on its side and busted up, worst case, yuk.

life gets way easier with a boom truck. I don't call machinery movers cuz they send two guys and charge 200 an hour, last move was 1 guy and a boom truck for 75 hour cash. he's not going to be a machinery guy so you will have to instruct on how to lift, blocking the table, etc. Start phoning concrete block or brick companies, sod companies etc...who ever uses boom trucks and you'll find your cash deal. Phone who sells hiab boom and moffett forklifts and as for the names of some small time guys with trucks (always works). Even if you got some guy to meet you at the drop off site with lifting capability.....otherwise your big sweat (assuming the trailer is suitable) is going to be getting it from trailer to ground

Thanks for the advice. The bummer thing is once I get it in the shop, I'm going to need to move it again in a year or so when our bigger shop is built. I'll try and keep updated with how the move went.

What are the lift points on the Tree 425? Does anyone have the manual in electronic form?

Mcgyver
    I am going to have to disagree with you. you dont send a boy in to do a mans job.

that 200 bucks and hour while it mght bite a little is well worth it. if they break it they pay for it. you break it you pay forit.
    most boom trucks and other types of movers DONT have insurance for moving equipment. another words they break it your paying for it.
    I have moved a whole bunch of machines and lots bigger than 6000 lbs, when I worked for someone the boss always wanted to mover crap the cheap way, thats all fine and dandy till it gets broken. when you buy something then its coming out of your pocket, down time repair time etc etc. if you dont have the cash to fix it then have a professional move it, its that simple.

another way to think about it is like this. if it drops and is rendered usless, your going to pay alot more for a scrape place to pick it up and dispose of it than you would have paid a professional to move it.

sure you can move it and move it successfully, but in all honesty if you have to ask what it can go on to move it you wont move it successfully. I am not picking on you just saying, if you dont understand what weight could be held on what type of trailer or how to block it down or up to get it off the trailer your waiting for a disaster to happen.

pay the 200-500 bucks and do it right, that way you wont damage your property the machine or hurt someone in the process.

Delw

Delw, all good points, but there's lots of sensitivities to the right answer you're missing such value of the machine, time/distance to move and the combined knowledge level of dispatch, trucker and me. I'm not spending 1500 to move an old clunker i traded some tooling for, similarly i wouldn't try to save few bucks on moving something expensive.

the guys i use are adequately sophisticated truckers; they know how to run a boom crane & truck and know the crane and bed capacities etc and have whatever training and certs that requires. What they don't know is how to lift machines, block tables, what parts/covers etc aren't secure and so on. This is where my knowledge kicks in and i wouldn't move a machine without first knowing & understanding the lift points etc.

if one's never moved a machine before by all means call machinery movers; my advice was offered as an incremental improvement to someone planning on doing it themselves.