588,518 active members*
8,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > how good are the torchmate machines?
Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by braidmeister
    Hector,
    I don't have sites for the servo/interference issue. There really is no need to run servos on a plasma CNC because you are well within the torque range of NEMA 34 steppers and don't have any loads applied to them like a CNC router would (no lost steps). You can run them directly on a Bishop-Wisecarver gear track with a 25 tooth gear. No reduction belt-drive necessary.

I bought my machine turn-key and hanven't had the need to buy shielded cable yet. I'm sure a search on Thomas Register would give you a whole list of suppliers for shielded motion cable etc.

-Brady
    Brady,
    By any chance do you have a link where I can get the Bishop-Wisecarver gear trackand gear you are talking about, it seems in the Bishop-Wisecarver Site I can find it...you are meaning a rack and pinion from this brand?
    The only brand I have found for Rack and Pinion is Boston Gear, do you know of other sources?
    I seen a 20pitch 25 teeth 14-1/2 Presure Angle Spur Gear (mcmaster 6867K33) and rack (mcmaster 6295K113), are this onse the one you suggest? Are this ones the originally used in the TM?
    Regards...
    Hector

http://www.bwc.com/html/dualvee.html

Sniff around a little and you will find that some people are not even using the BWC rails, which can be expensive. They just take 1/8" angle and bevel the edges a little with a grinder. In some cases, they don't grind them either. I have seen a plasma machine using this system without a ground rail and it performed very well making use of the dual vee bearings. Why anyone would build a machine over 4' in any direction with a ballscrew is beyond me.

Yes, you are correct on the Boston gear track. I can't seem to find my BG catalog in this office!

-Brady

http://www.bwc.com/html/dualvee.html

Sniff around a little and you will find that some people are not even using the BWC rails, which can be expensive. They just take 1/8" angle and bevel the edges a little with a grinder. In some cases, they don't grind them either. I have seen a plasma machine using this system without a ground rail and it performed very well making use of the dual vee bearings. Why anyone would build a machine over 4' in any direction with a ballscrew is beyond me.

Yes, you are correct on the Boston gear track. I can't seem to find my BG catalog in this office!

-Brady
    I've seen the Dual Vee Bearings and seen that they are used in high quality tables, well the bearings seem not so expensive, but dont talk about the tracks (chair) If I go this way I need 20ft x 2 for the x and 6ft x 2 for the y so this translate in thousands of dollars!!! that why I love the idea of the cam followers over a rectified steel flat, not a proble to get a 20ft 1/4 or 1/2 x20Ft rectified steel flat. I noticed that the shopbot brand use the dual vee bearings over a common steel channel, I imagine how this solution really works vs the cam followers solution?
    Regards....
    Hector

Well...It works well enough to Jog a ShopBot with the Vexta AlphaStep motors at 40 inches a second...and .005" resolution...You tell me.

To see an Alpha ShopBot in action is a real treat!

-Brady

Well...It works well enough to Jog a ShopBot with the Vexta AlphaStep motors at 40 inches a second...and .005" resolution...You tell me.

To see an Alpha ShopBot in action is a real treat!

-Brady
    guess it was a dump question
    Tell me more about those Alpha Step...and the shopbot, I know that is a hard question to answer objectively but.... between the shopbot design and the torchmate design, which one will be the way to go....?
    For my taste, I have looked at this two design as a cheap, reliable, real life solution for a workhorse table

I am a bit biased because I own a ShopBot plasma CNC. Before I bought the SB, I looked at the Torchmate. It had tiny motors, FlashCut electronics, 80/20-type AL extrusions and the THC was a $2,000 option (prices may or may not be that now) For a 4X8 plasma machine it was going to cost me $21,000+ will all options including the 4th axis, including a Hypertherm 600. The table looked weak, where the grid attaches to the AL extrusions in particular (another cost option...the grid & hardware to mount grid to table) and I thought that there was no way that I would be able to put thick steel on the table without thinking the weight might be an issue.

The ShopBot on the other hand is solid. You can throw a full sheet of 1/2" (or preferrably use the crane)...on the table without worrying about hurting it. It comes with EVERYTHING ready to go including the grid, Torch Height Control, the electronics in the Hypertherm for torch feedback already factory installed...all cables...etc, etc. I think some people get the impression that ShopBots aren't reall CNC machines because of the price...It's kind of funny because I can do things on my machines that others can't. Some of my customers own $100k+ CNC routers and Plasma cutters.

I paid just under $27k for a 5X8' ShopBot plasma CNC with a Hypertherm 1250 G3 WITH MT-80 torch....AND ALL options...PLUS a 5X8' Shopbot CNC router table with a 5HP 3-phase router/spindle with VFD controller, a 3D probe, 4th axis, limit switches, 2 powder coated tables, 1 for each machine, included operating software AND CAD/CAM software...plus a few other things I can't remember at the moment.

Not to take away from Torchmate. It just didn't suit my needs. If you are a tinkerer, small shop (non-production) and have the need or desire for a CNC plasma machine on a budget, go for it. If you want to make a living...buy something else....like a ShopBot.

-Brady

I am a bit biased because I own a ShopBot plasma CNC. Before I bought the SB, I looked at the Torchmate. It had tiny motors, FlashCut electronics, 80/20-type AL extrusions and the THC was a $2,000 option (prices may or may not be that now) For a 4X8 plasma machine it was going to cost me $21,000+ will all options including the 4th axis, including a Hypertherm 600. The table looked weak, where the grid attaches to the AL extrusions in particular (another cost option...the grid & hardware to mount grid to table) and I thought that there was no way that I would be able to put thick steel on the table without thinking the weight might be an issue.

The ShopBot on the other hand is solid. You can throw a full sheet of 1/2" (or preferrably use the crane)...on the table without worrying about hurting it. It comes with EVERYTHING ready to go including the grid, Torch Height Control, the electronics in the Hypertherm for torch feedback already factory installed...all cables...etc, etc. I think some people get the impression that ShopBots aren't reall CNC machines because of the price...It's kind of funny because I can do things on my machines that others can't. Some of my customers own $100k+ CNC routers and Plasma cutters.

I paid just under $27k for a 5X8' ShopBot plasma CNC with a Hypertherm 1250 G3 WITH MT-80 torch....AND ALL options...PLUS a 5X8' Shopbot CNC router table with a 5HP 3-phase router/spindle with VFD controller, a 3D probe, 4th axis, limit switches, 2 powder coated tables, 1 for each machine, included operating software AND CAD/CAM software...plus a few other things I can't remember at the moment.

Not to take away from Torchmate. It just didn't suit my needs. If you are a tinkerer, small shop (non-production) and have the need or desire for a CNC plasma machine on a budget, go for it. If you want to make a living...buy something else....like a ShopBot.

-Brady
    So you are a shopbot fan ?
    I think that shopbot are the best deal for the buck...but I'm trying to get even a better deal.
    I will be cutting just 2D, and plasma cutting, so I don't need a metal gantry thet supports high loads (I'm not using a router).
    The conclusions I have made with all the feed back...is this
    1. A 80/20 gantry will do for plasma cutting
    2. use rack and pinion in the x and y...be sure to use a shaft(in the x) with one rack at each side of the x
    3. build a heavy duty steel table that supports real heavy steel plates 6ftx20ft 1" steel
    3. Design all provisions possible to protect the gantry from accidents, like hiting it while loading metal plates
    4. Use DualVee rolling in steel angle (not the tracks..expensive!!!) work fine (shopbot example) or either I can use the cam followers.
    5. There's not a justification to buy servos and its electronics that will rise the price tag...steppers will do, because there are not high loads, it almost impossible they will loose steps.
    What do you think guys....are this conclusions correct, or there is someone that can give more usefull feedback...
    Kindest Regards...
    Hector

IF ANYONE IS GOING WITH THE TORCHMATE MACHINES, BE READY TO "BEEF UP" YOUR TABLE & FRAMEWORK OR BETTER IDEA DESIGN YOUR OWN!!!

GJM, what unit did you purchase and what are you cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    IF ANYONE IS GOING WITH THE TORCHMATE MACHINES, BE READY TO "BEEF UP" YOUR TABLE & FRAMEWORK OR BETTER IDEA DESIGN YOUR OWN!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMcC View Post
    GJM, what unit did you purchase and what are you cutting?
    I'm curious as well, why you believe you need to "beef" up your frame?
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

I don't want to step on anyones toes. I don't own a TM table. I am not affiliated with TM in any way. This is just my opinion. It seems to me if 5' wide is enough Torchmate offers a fine looking gantry along with all their hardware/software items + a build your own table kit that has pre drilled/cut brackets for cam follower bearings. Build your own table, how ever heavy you wish it to be. I'm sure you can find a way to lower the side rails if you wish or at least one of them creating a "drop side table".

It just seems to me the Torchmate people offer more options than about anyone in the entry tables price range. & don't seem to twist anyones arm to buy their "in house manufactured table"

As to the small motors. If they are enough to move it over the 10' length of their offered table I'm quite sure the steppers will not know or care to move it 20'
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

yeah i have serious problems with mine and right when the warranty expired, check out my thread for more explanation.

Smile Just trying to help

I built a TM table and ordered the gantry. The assembly was actually fun.
    I think the software takes alot to get used to. There are a lot of functions and it can get kind of confusing. I have gotten too comfortable with autocad and can't seem to bring myself to adapt to their cad software. I am going to ask Santa Claus to ask TM to combine their software with Autodesk. The TM cuts as good as your Plasma machine. Its fun if you can remember all the functions and steps of the software. Good Luck and have patience. I'm still trying!

Quote Originally Posted by jprobst View Post
    yeah i have serious problems with mine and right when the warranty expired, check out my thread for more explanation.
    Which thread? Hi Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Which thread? Hi Jamie.
    Who's it going Mike? Good to hear from you. Don't remember which thread. I think it was called Problems with torchmate. IT should be in the torchmate section. Still having problems. The warranty expires and now I need a new signal generator that would run me $1500. I have torchmate numerous times to email me instructions as to how to check it. But no, they always want to go over it on the phone. Well it's hard to do when the shop is running, I shut down just to sit on the phone with them. If I had some instructions to check it out I could come down on a saturday or after work when it is nice and quiet and check everything out.
    Hope all is well with you. I got married two weeks ago to that pretty little lady you met.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your rig. All is well with me, thank you. I will email you my friend. :rainfro:

Who's it going Mike? Good to hear from you. Don't remember which thread. I think it was called Problems with torchmate. IT should be in the torchmate section. Still having problems. The warranty expires and now I need a new signal generator that would run me $1500. I have torchmate numerous times to email me instructions as to how to check it. But no, they always want to go over it on the phone. Well it's hard to do when the shop is running, I shut down just to sit on the phone with them. If I had some instructions to check it out I could come down on a saturday or after work when it is nice and quiet and check everything out.
    Hope all is well with you. I got married two weeks ago to that pretty little lady you met.
    Is it the same problem that you posted about in your thread? The last thing I posted in the thread was giving you some instructions on testing why the torch was coming down and firing during rapid travel cuts. I don't know whatever came of it after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    What we'd like to see done next is to run the program with the Start Input wires disconnected from the plasma interface side, and hook a multimeter up to those two points. Run the program as you normally would, and set the multimeter to check for continuity between those two points. At the beginning of every cut, it should show a closed loop, and at the end of every cut, the loop should open back up. It should rapid travel to the next cut and repeat.

If it is showing a closed loop between cuts, most likely the system is telling the torch to fire for one various reason or another, the M-Code executions come to mind, where there is a setting that says Execute at Start/End of Motion. It has the ability to activate an m-code at the beginning and end of every motion regardless of cutting or rapid travel.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Hi Mike@Tourchmate,

I think jprobst was talking to me up there. He is a old friend.

Best

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. I'M NOT SAYING THAT THE MACHINE ITSELF IS BAD, BUT THE DESIGN OF THE TABLE IS OKAY FOR LIGHTWEIGHT WORK BUT FOR HEAVY STUFF, NOT GOOD. ALSO THE SIGNAL GENERATOR GAVE US SOME HECK TOO, BUT FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT ON MY OWN BECAUSE I WOULD GET DIFFERENT SOLUTIONS FOR THE PROBLEM AND THE SOFTWARE IS JUST NOT A "GOOD ONE" HAS TOO MANY BUGS & DESIGN PROBLEMS AND THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR THE CAD SOFTWARE IS JUST PLAIN CONFUSING!!! I HAVE PICTURES OF THE TABLE THAT I DESIGNED AND BELIEVE ME IT WILL OUTLAST THE MACHINERY ITSELF!!!

So were the problems worked out? I have a quote here from torchmate and was wondering if I should go with them.

Page 2 of 3 123