587,569 active members*
3,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How much it will cost to use local machine shop for Converting BF20L to CNC

How much it will cost to use local machine shop for Converting BF20L to CNC

I am getting a BF20L in April. Almost went through all the BF20, 0704 CNC threads. Already got the shopping list ready. Only missing part is machining the pocket and groove in the saddle, and the hole in the column for Y stepper rear mounting. I don't have the proper tools to do those jobs.
    So I just want a rough idea for the cost a local machine shop will
    charge for that.
    Thanks
    Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most shops will of course have a minimum. I would guess an hour per part per procedure. Maximum of 3 steps it sounds like basic set up. Depending on how nice you are and how much info you provide the machinist to ease his job, 150-250 US? There are quite a few Canadians active here on the zone, 2 that had quite good builds (Ellik sp?) they might do the work for you.

150 to 250 is reasonable. I will model my BF20L first, and have all the drawings ready for them. According to your number it is about $75/hour, which is not bad.
    I am willing to do whatever I can, but this will be good money spend for me.

However many hours it takes to do a conversion times the shop rate. I can't see a conversion taking less than one day. At $75.00 per hour for 8 hours, that is $600.00.

I was only referring to milling the pocket for the ballscrew mount and the groove for clearance under the table not the actual installation of the bits. I was thinking between 50-75 per hour. This would be all manual.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    However many hours it takes to do a conversion times the shop rate. I can't see a conversion taking less than one day. At $75.00 per hour for 8 hours, that is $600.00.
    Not the whole conversion. I was just asking this "cannot be done by myself" part of machining job.
    Sorry about the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I was only referring to milling the pocket for the ballscrew mount and the groove for clearance under the table not the actual installation of the bits. I was thinking between 50-75 per hour. This would be all manual.
    Are shops that cheap again? Be more prepared for 75-140 an hour.

The pocket doesn't have to made to tight tolerances. One thought I had for the pocket in the saddle was to buy a cheap X-Y table and rig a way to clamp it to the mill base. I have seen X-Y tables for around $100. Shars has a 6"x18.5" table for $137, and a 5.5"x12" table for $115. I think the same approach would allow me to mill lubrication channels into the saddle for an oiling system. I'm sure there would be a ton of other uses for having a X-Y table.

For the hole in the back of the column, I think Hoss just used a hand drill. I am planning to front mount my Y (I figure the vice will hang over a bit anyway, so the stepper won't add too much on top of that).

Hi slinger
    That is a great idea! If it is under $200, it is a no brainer. Then I can do "more" such as the oiling grooves.

If myself can do those mods, I am willing to pass the Y rear mounting. Is it more than a hole? I thought the mounting surface needs to be milled flat too.

Yeah!

You can cut the big hole in the column with a hole saw for $15.00

Bi metal will work fine. No oil just water!

They tend to wobble and cut a bit large.

For the record, I haven't gone as far as to figure out how to appropriately clamp the X-Y table to the base. It will be a while before I get to that point personally, but I would be interested to see what you come up with if you go that route :-)

Considering the low accuracy, a wood fixture can get the XY table fixed to the base. :-D

Hi there.......I'm looking forward to another new build progress........and rather than paying someone to machine the saddle and cut the rear pocket you could pick up a cheap cross table as slinger already said or even a DIY contraption would do here too and I did just that my self here

once it's held tight and doesn't get airborne as you start cutting you'll be fine I used M12 threaded bar as a temporary X axis....

and yup a hole saw is sufficient to cut the Z colum as it's only cast and the only thing here to be carefull is your wrist as I relaxed my grip a bit when I was drilling my colum and jeez the drill dam near twisted my hand off

if you can do something yourself why pay hardearned cash.....use it to buy the things you can't machine.....
    Eoin

Hi MW

This is an incredible set up there. I think I will do that too for the BF20L I am planning to get in April.
    One mill can upgrade itself!

Yeah and some guy's when they recieve their mill they measure it from head to base and do up CAD drawings and then make the parts for the machine using these drawings....I should have done that too and it would have saved me taking the machine apart sooo many times but you know you kinda get faster at reassembling it after the fifth time or was it sixth time or seventh..........

:cheers:
    Eoin

Hi MW
    This forum has been giving out extremely useful information for converting a BF20L/G0704 into a CNC.
    So I don't think I will hit 6th or 7th :-D

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bonmotwang View Post
    Hi MW
    This forum has been giving out extremely useful information for converting a BF20L/G0704 into a CNC.
    So I don't think I will hit 6th or 7th :-D

Yup I recon you're bang on there
    Eoin