587,890 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to save programs?

Hello all,
    I am a new member of CNCZone, and the proud new owner of a PCNC 770.
    I have already written a few programs, and ran the parts on my mill, but I have a question.
    I made a file to save my programs in the control, but how do you save programs for the long-term?
    Can program files be saved to USB Thumbdrives?
    Can the computer burn to disk?
    Any other tricks to save programs?
    Also, If a program is written on another computer, how do you load the program into the 770 control?
    It seems like a big hassle to crawl underneath the machine to access the DVD Drive everytime.

I added Tormach's remote USB Port and move programs in both directions, onto the machine and off the machine using a USB Stick.

Works well for me.

Nitewatchman

I too have the panel mounted USB port, and go between my CAD/CAM station and machine controller with USB drives.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakai View Post
    I too have the panel mounted USB port, and go between my CAD/CAM station and machine controller with USB drives.
    I do the same thing. Sometimes several times in a day.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I use a USB extension cable (6' I think) that is male on one end and female on the other with the female end tied off near my keyboard - very easy to install and use.

One other question:
    Which USB port do I plug it into?
    The two White plugs are for mouse and keyboard.
    Can I use one of the Blue ports?

Any unused usb port can be used.

I also have a 6' usb cable plugged into the computer and run up the back of the machine and over the top to about the lower edge of the control panel, lots easier for me to reach it there.
    mike sr

I am 42 years old out of shape, overweight and to old to be crawling in chips and cutting fluids below and around the chip trays to access the area provided for the computer. I mounted my computer on a small wall shelf on the wall at about 6' 6" off the ground and above the right side of the control panel and just ran longer cabling to the moniter/ keyboard arm and control cabinet and I can easily reach up and install a usb stick without worrying about accidentilently hitting in the external port option(which I bought) and breaking the thumbdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrent View Post
    ...and breaking the thumbdrive.
    My official program-transfer device is the Flexi-Thumb (it's even called that in Windows Explorer). I took a 1GB Kingston thumb drive on which I had accidentally cracked off the connector, opened the case, and wired in a USB-A cable end. Just enough for a little flexibility. It has survived for about 6 years now...

Randy