588,500 active members*
4,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How would these components be made

How would these components be made

Customer sent drawing of assembly they need us to weld. At first glance it appeared to be an ordinary weldment. Not 5 minutes after I recieved drawings, customers calls. "I forgot to make notation all dim. are metric. and they are in millemeters. Material on both components is 440C. Due to the application they will be used they cannot be soldered and must be welded

So I reviewed further and did some quick setup and prototyping to make certain we could meet expectations regarding welding. Tried several clever setups and proved it out.

If you notice where the ball is to be joined to shaft, a small indentation to partially accept ball. That is the area I was wondering how it could be done. I guess it could be done on some of the newer high tech edm sinkers. We do work with a shop that has a wire edm that can run .0008 wire.

My question is how in the world are these pcs. going to be made. I'm able to weld them but was just wandering how they would be machined. Customer assured me they have vendor who is capable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ffff.JPG  

Remember the old flea circus exhibitions? Maybe they've trained some fleas to push buttons on a FleaNC machine.

I imagine the shanks could be made with a length of wire and a pair of scissors....

Sorry I couldn't be any help - I can't wait to hear the educated answer though.:idea:

DP

microfusion

They would be laser welded, or fusion welded,What is the dia of the ball & shaft, if it is for medical then I would say they would have to be laser welded, they could be machined as one piece as well, for machining the shaft, it would be ground after welding
    Mactec54

Try make it in 1 pcs, no need for welding, just grinding.

Go back to the customer. This looks like another botched conversion to me.