587,761 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Howto control Vexta UDX5114 via computer??
Page 1 of 2 12

Howto control Vexta UDX5114 via computer??

Hi, Does anyone know how to hook up a vexta udx5114 to parallel port?
    I have 3 udx5114 with matching stepper motors, and now I need to know how to control them using Kcam through parallel port, help anyone?

csc

Hi happytriger,

I've just got several of these UDX-Drives.
    To use them with Clk/Dir-Pinout I take a CMOS-Analog-Switch to get a CW-Clk-signal and another switch with an inverter in front to get CCW-clock.

the clock-signal is at the input of both switches, and the switches will passthrough the clocksignal depending on the Dir-state.

I hope you understand :-)
    If necessary I'll made a small picture ...

Greets Frank

Finally...

Hi Jimmybondi,
    mmm..Im not an expert in electronics,NEWBIE, I think I need a picture to understand, or a schematic, THX

cs chang

Here's a picture of what Im looking for....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vexta.bmp  

Hi Happytriger,

the normal application of a driver to the LPT-Port is known I think.
    But the UDX need an explicent step for CW and CCW rotation
    on a change from low to high at CW-pin the motor turn one step right and at a change at CCW-pin equal one step left.
    So you have to generate these - eq. via the attached schematic:

the step-signal is at the input of 4066 and will be switched through depending on the direction state. the resistors are pulldown - the logic is active high

hope you understand :-)

Greets Frank

Pinouts:
    4066 input - output - trigger
    1 - 2 -13
    4 - 3 - 5
    8 - 9 - 6
    11 - 10 - 12
    7 GND
    14 VCC

4009 in - out
    3 - 2
    5 - 4
    7 - 6
    9 - 10
    11 - 12
    14 - 15
    1 VCC
    8 GND
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4066.bmp  

Thanks Frank,
    I will build 1 asap and test it.
    I did build a circuit for my driver, I used GD74LS04, is Hex Inverter. I used KCAM to run my machine, it seems there's a problem with the windows based software, when I jog the motors in Kcam, the motor turns but not very smooth and in Turbocnc in DOS the motor runs smoothly.
    What software are you using and does the motor turn fast, ie 2000rpm?
    I have a vexta controller which turns the stepper motor quite fast, but when connected to computer the speed has lower a lot, my task is to link to the computer, use a controller software and run the motors as fast as the vexta controller does. If you give me your email address I'll send you a movie clip of the motor running using vexta controller then you'll know what Im talking about.

I attached a DXF file of my GD74LS04 circuit.

CS Chang
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Happytriger,

I know, that there a different drives availiable - but mine didn't support Step & Dir.
    You're inverting the signals, but if your driver need explicent clock for CW and CCW your schem didn't work. Then you have to split the clock fwd and rev.

> What software are you using and does the motor turn fast, ie 2000rpm?

ballscrew pitch: 4mm
    driver: Gecko G210
    stepper: Nanotec 5618C0408 (1,4Nm - 4 Amp parallel winding)
    1/5 step mode (1000 steps/rev) - very smooth :-)
    PC: PIII 800MHz 256MB XP Pro
    Software: Mach2
    best speed: 35000 Hz (max. 45000)

until a few months ago I used TurboCNC on a 400MHz K6 (DOS)
    with max. 40 kHz
    Whenever TCNC will support G41/42 I will sell Mach2

I would like to use halfstep, but there are some problems with the multiplierboard G901 of the geckos :-(

the UDX I tested up to 1000rpm - but I stopped more tests because of missing tourque ... maybe in future another application (lathe)

Greets
    Frank

I have an old Super Vexta 5 phase driver which I can't seem to locate in my junk pile of stuff. I think the part was udk5107. The opto inputs were CCW and CW but someone told me that there was a switch that made the unit into STEP/DIR. At first I couldn't locate the slide switch since it was covered with dust balls and dirt so I took it apart and cleaned it out. It was inside the case on the very edge of the board. Anyway once I moved the switch and connected it to the parallel port, it worked with turbocnc as a STEP/DIR driver.

I don't know if your driver has this capability but can't hurt to take a look.

Jim

Jimmybondi,
    How fast is 40KHZ in terms of RPM?
    >>the UDX I tested up to 1000rpm - but I stopped more tests because of missing tourque ... maybe in future another application (lathe)
    What did you test it with, Mach2 controller software, or ...?

Oh.. can anyone tell me how to increase the feed rate in Turbocnc?

THX
    CS Chang

Jfong,
    >>The opto inputs were CCW and CW but someone told me that there was a switch that made the unit into STEP/DIR. At first I couldn't locate the slide switch since it was covered with dust balls and dirt so I took it apart and cleaned it out. It was inside the case on the very edge of the board. Anyway once I moved the switch and connected it to the parallel port, it worked with turbocnc as a STEP/DIR driver.

The UDX5114 has a switch that made the unit into STEP/DIR. If you download the Attachment from one of my post, Vexta & computer.DXF, that's how my driver is hooked up at the moment, but I will try Jimmybondi methed today and see the differences.
    Have you wired up you driver?, post a picture of it or a schematic..share with us.

cs chang

My misunderstanding, I thought you were using CW/CCW rotation because of the earlier reference to a 4066 chip to convert STEP/DIR to CW/CCW.

I just hooked up the parallel port pins directly to the corresponding CW/CCW input and supplied +5 to the opto side. Turbocnc can set the output active high or low so no need for any hex invertor.

I don't recall how fast I was able to spin the motor but it was pretty significant. The motor was a very nice Berger Lahr 5phase. I'm pretty sure it was atleast 2000RPM.

Jim

Hi Jfong

>> The motor was a very nice Berger Lahr 5phase. I'm pretty sure it was atleast 2000RPM.
    Is the motor driver hooked with computer pararell port or a controller?

cs chang

Is the motor driver hooked with computer pararell port or a controller?

Direct hookup from the computer's parallel port to Vexta driver. I was using Turbocnc to test the stepper motor.

Jim

any body know how about udk 5 phase stepper driver

i use UDX5114 and UDX5128 for vexta 2,8A per phase . BUt it run slowly. just 120RPM.

Hello All
    Does anyone know about other pins of the UDX5114 driver?
    H.OFF, TIM., O.H. - for what this pins?
    Mayby who have some description or PDF about this driver?

I use 3D controller based on vexta udx5114. It works great!
    http://forum.rcdesign.ru/index.php?showtopic=46470
    If you have this drivers - forget another controllers & enjoy.

Hi Alex101,
    can you post pictures of your driver box and maybe some wiring diagram to show the people in this forum? cheers.

May be my kontroller is not so beauty, but it work. If anyone want to see another pictures - write me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00431.jpg  

Hi everyone,

I used to have a pdf about the Vexta UDX5114 driver operation, but due to a HDD failure I now only have a few notes I made on the unit. (P.S. if anyone can send me a copy of the manual via email I would really appreciate it!)

Anyway;
    H OFF = If you apply a signal to this pin the motor will get any current from the driver. You use this so you can manually turn the motor shaft by hand.
    TIMING = This pin outputs a signal when the curent through the motor winding is in it's initial stage.
    O HEAT = Outputs a signal when the temperature of the driver unit is overheating.

Hope this helps

David

Page 1 of 2 12