586,055 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco Hawk 5M Spindle issue

Hurco Hawk 5M Spindle issue

Just purchased used machine and all runs well until I turn spindle on. The control resets and begins a reboot. I have checked/rechecked wiring to spindle motor. All axis (XYZ) function well and I can run programs in dry run and at a zero spindle speed. Once I attempt to turn spindle on I have a shutdown of everything and control reboots. On occasion all 3 axis will jump while shutting down. Anyone else see this issue before? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Hurco Hawk 5M Spindle issue

Hi Taz2012,
    We have a Hawk 5 that we bought new in 1994 so I will see if anything we have learned will help.
    Usually the control re-boot is due to a loss of power in the Deltron power supply (5,12,-12,24) located in the side cabinet. It sits low on the right hand side. What you want to know is if the power to the supply is dropping out when it re-boots (wires at the rear of the supply) or if the power supply itself is dropping out (multi-colored wires coming out the front).
    Use a meter to verify which (if any) is dropping out. Possibly the relay that powers spindle on is adding just enough load to take down the supply.
    First thing to check though is, amazing enough, the control boards under the keyboard. Through use chips can find their way into the space under the keyboard and lay on the PCB. This causes all kinds of stupid problems, such as buttons failing to activate, weird screens, etc. Blowing around the boards with an air hose (power off, of course) solves many problems.
    As far as the Deltron supply is concerned, if the fan on top is not spinning (happens a lot) the supply will shut down (re-boot). Replace the fan if you feel up to it.
    I have also solved re-booting supply problems by changing bloated capacitors inside.

Not sure if this will help.

Todd

JustTodd,
    Thanks for the info. I finally called service. It seems when machine was moved the spindle wiring was detached and put back incorrectly. Costly mistake. Thanks for the information!

JustTodd,
    Thanks for the info. I finally called service. It seems when machine was moved the spindle wiring was detached and put back incorrectly. Costly mistake. Thanks for the information!