588,653 active members*
6,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > i have been thinking about this one a while...

i have been thinking about this one a while...

i just saw a link to this machine http://www.carvewright.com/index.html in another post somewhere in the forum, and was pretty excited about it initially. i don't want to bad mouth it in any way, for the money i think it would be a tough one to beat. i just wish that they had a heavy, heavy duty model. my other gripe, is the proprietery software. you can't just create a gcode file and run it, or import a CAD drawing into it and make a part. (just picture files)

i currently have my own, junk yard parts built cnc router, but after seeing how fast that machine moved in the video, i was thinking that my machine just isn't good enough anymore. i like all the cool features that it has and i had thought of building a machine of similar design a while back, when i turned down a job because of the size limitations of my machine.

so now i want to know, has anyone on the forum built a belt driven machine? (from looking at all the pictures on the carvewright website it appears to be belt driven) belt drive would be the only way that i could build a machine with that kind of speed, with what i have available in my spare parts bin.

next, is there any quick change router spindle that anyone knows about. i know that i had seen some images somewhere on the forum of guys working on it, and i know a guy could spend several thousand on one, but is there a homebrew version available yet?

i have a busy week this week, but next week, i think that i will have to start taking a serious inventory of parts that i have available, then i will start posting drawings.

A few of us in OZ have gone down the belt path. Certainly YNNEB and I think APPLES.

Mine is still being built.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

that thing is pretty sweet. For what it is. However, if it were in my shop, i'd probably keep getting it mixed up with my planer. However, for 2k, that is not a bad price.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanrabb View Post
    that thing is pretty sweet. For what it is. for 2k, that is not a bad price.
    that is what i thought too. unfortunately at this time it is not compatable with my other software (which cost more than the whole carvewright system) And if i use their software, at this time it will only work with there machine, so if a problem arrises with it, i can't just cut the project on one of my other machines. So untill those issues are remedied, as i understand it they are working on them, i have to pass.

but i like the speed of it, and the unlimited part length (ok almost unlimited) so that makes me think that i should just go ahead and put together a machine of similar design that will run off mach. i am not too concerned about most of the design and construction aspects, i have a pretty good idea of how i am going to design everything, but the quick change tool system would be especially nice.

how has the belt drive system been working out for those who have gone that route?

try this link re. a belt table

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4900

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

That is not a belt table...he uses rack and pinion

Watching the video and the thing zing allong so fast makes me think of the people building the smaller units in a new light. As there is no way my 4x8 will be able to zing around that quick due to it's own weight..

guess I know what I will be building next now..

Darn..

b.

Check out this site for a tool changer, I think the idea is a good one http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/atc/atc.html

is anyone using one these spindles off ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TB-650M-High-Spe...QQcmdZViewItem

i have really been concidering purchacing one, i know that it would be near inpossible to implament any type of quick change tooling on it, but it is looking as if there is really nothing available premade. i had hoped that the sherline atc that was made a while back had been a production piece that one could just buy. http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/default.htm

does anyone know how good the bearings are in a sherline head, 10,000 20 30 rpm?

it would certainly be nice to build a heavy duty carvewright like machine with an auto tool changer.

I've sent mail back and forth between that guy. I have not asked him which brushless motor he is using in the high end (599) dollar version although I might ask eventually just to find out how much he has in the motor alone so I can decide to get that one or one of the lower onew and add a brushless later.

He answered his mail quick enough.. Although I might save getting one of those till I build a mini router mill. Putting that size head on my 4x8 would seem a little weird as the weight seems to keep adding up as I build..

b.

well, he seems to have a lot of good feedback on those spindles, so i should probably just bite the bullet and buy one.

Next, i took a little inventory on the parts i have, and decided that i will have to buy some new pullies and belts for the project. Since i will have to buy something for this project anyway, i think that i will change from belts to gear rack. i am just worried about belt stretch being a problem. i also need to decide how big to make this thing and get started on the drawings.