588,231 active members*
4,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

I need Corel help...

I'm trying to weld a teddy bear into a circle. This specific teddy bear shape is needed for this project. I had to trace over the original drawing in line segments that now need to be connected together.
    I can't figure out how to do it.

The one on the left is what it will look like but I'm just looking to get the one on the right to have the ears and feet welded to the circle.

Anybody wanna try it and then explain how they did it... I'm using Corel 11.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is this what you are looking for?

easiest way is this link.
    http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=75 I know you do'nt have coreldraw 12 but it has a lot of the same as version 11

well... kinda... That's what I want it to look like, but shouldn't the pieces above the ears that looks like a bats wings be all one piece instead of 2 pieces?

The same for the left and right side of the bear. I know I can go in and combine all the pieces, but is there another way?

Did you just manually go in and remove the parts touching the circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I'm trying to weld a teddy bear into a circle. This specific teddy bear shape is needed for this project. I had to trace over the original drawing in line segments that now need to be connected together.
    I can't figure out how to do it.

The one on the left is what it will look like but I'm just looking to get the one on the right to have the ears and feet welded to the circle.

Anybody wanna try it and then explain how they did it... I'm using Corel 11.
    Hi ,
    See the attached zip file ,it contains 1 corel11 file and dxf file, you will find the upper bear without welding and the other welded one at the bottom, also you will find the bear details was separated from the outer path, that because if you want engrave the details and then you can cut the outer path,

Hi,

I think you should to modify this design if you want to cut it all by plasma, because you will loss some details & parts .

Here is the TeddyBear from FractalEdge3 but processed through our DXFTool in CorelDraw (needs ver 12 or >). I takes out the segmented lines you get for arcs and circles from the Corel DXF filter. Note: Be aware that if this is for plasma cutting, the glass in the bear's hand will drop out!

Sorry about the post with all the extra nodes. I didn't look at the original and it was not clean bezier curves but lots of arc segments. I clean it up in Corel (node reduction) and re-ran it through the DXFTool. It should be better and make smoother CNC toolpaths.

Thanks guys... now how'd you do it?

Give a man a fish... teach a man to fish...

I'm sure it's an involved process but can you point me in the right direction?

And yes, I will be modifying the design for plasma, just thought I'd show what it is supposed to look like.

Hi Scratch,

If you look to the attached pict you will see the location of the weld command on arrange menu ,to be able to weld two shapes you must do the following :

1-Close any open shapes (outer path of the bear), by using the shape tool select the two points at the two ends of the open shape ,then right click the mouse ,select join command from the appearing menu.

2-Combine the two outer circles to form a shape like O letter.

3-Now select both the bear and the O shape , weld this two objects.

Note That the bear outer path on your original file had many separated lines ,so you should to select all lines of the outer path and combine all that lines, then join any separated points(very hard I know, I think it is better to use my file to test this operation).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corel.jpg  

It appears that Corel 9 is nothing like Corel 12! Corel has made lots of improvements. I started with version 7, then 9, looks like I need to upgrade!

Actually ver 9 has all of the welding and trim tools and vector editing tools. Ver 12 has several improvements (probably the best release since 9) in the drawing tools but the "Shape" tools (Weld, Trim, Intersect) have stayed pretty much the same. The best thing about 12 is that it has Object Snap and Gravity Snap when you are drawing. We recommend 12 because it is the first release that fully supported the VBA development tools and our DXFTool needs that version or later to run.

There are a lot of good deals on ver 12 now so if you use CorelDraw I would advise seeking them out and making the move.

I was reading over this post and saw that you are all trying to do this in Corel. I use Version 8 for all of my stuff, but to join items together and format for Plasma cutting, waterjet, etc. I export to DXF then go into AutoCad and make all items 1 polyline. A lot easier to do and I have had the best results this way.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by rjdj2000 View Post
    I was reading over this post and saw that you are all trying to do this in Corel. I use Version 8 for all of my stuff, but to join items together and format for Plasma cutting, waterjet, etc. I export to DXF then go into AutoCad and make all items 1 polyline. A lot easier to do and I have had the best results this way.

RJ
    A LOT of extra work in an expensive package (AutoCAD). Use the right tool in Corel and you can go straight to the CAM with a good DXF. Everything joined up, full arcs and circles. (see the DXF I posted).

RJ,

In AutoCAD I do a pedit command to join all the segments.

From here I save as a .dxf file and open in Corel

From here I convert and export as a .hpgl file.

This is on a 7 year old TM that uses Microkinetics drivers.

I do like Caudles Corel to DXF tool but my dinosaur runs bass-akwards

Keep up the good work.

Tom P

Hi,

In corel you can close any path by deferent ways , but you should to know how to do it, and what result you will get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corel close path.jpg  

Torchhead,

I agree that AutoCAD is expensive compared to Corel. The problem with Corel is that it was never taught in high school much less college.

I have a friend in AZ that swears by Corel for drawing parts for the 4WD buggies they build. But to me, AutoCAD was built for drawings parts. Corel needs a chamfer and filet icon....or where is it? Corel is great for laying out sign and artwork. For 7 years I have used both programs and realize that both have their strongpoints.

Like all software, the learning curve is easier for some and harder for others.

fractaledge3, I must ad that your screen shots are very helpful!

This whole Corel post has been very helpful too

Hi,

One more post... you can do chamfer and fillet on corel 13 like the attached pict.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fillet corners.jpg  

My version 9 is showing its age.

I started with 7 and the move up to 9 was impressive but 12 & now 13

Ebay has Corel 13 from $89.00 to 110.00

Torchhead, have you noticed any difference between 12 & 13?

What’s new in CorelDRAW

Hi PlasmaGuy,

One of the new effects in corel 13 is the chamfer and fillet, but there are many enhancement in corel 13 , I collect (What’s new in CorelDRAW 13) from corel help and put it in the attached file.

Page 1 of 2 12