587,419 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > I need help choosing a material.

I need help choosing a material.

I make reproduction antique radio face plates. I have been making them out of MDF but I am concerned about long term durability. They are subjected occasionally to the wet weather and I am worried they will distort even after painting.

I am considering changing to some sort of plastic. Other materials are a possibility, just have to keep cost in mind. The originals are cast pot metal or machined aluminum. I have a Joes2005 woodworking machine so I would rather not machine them out of aluminum.

Here is a couple of pictures:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...efaceplate.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_0510.jpg

How about Bakelite? Many early electronics used Bakelite cases.

http://www.professionalplastics.com/BAKELITE
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Coating MDF properly will prevent entry of moisture even when permanently exposed to the elements (boat-building excepted!) The original materials you mentioned would give something of a satin to rough finish so a few coats of varnish/sealant should replicate it quite well.

Looking for a plastic that is as soft to machine as MDF and simultaneously as rigid and not as water absorbent will be a challenge.

Mylar would do it: nice colour and machines beautifuly: nice and soft but not "gummy".

It smells of fish though when you machine it- have a shower before you go down the pub!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I check out Bakelite, WAY too expensive. Bakelight was used for a lot of radio equipment, mostly field telephones, but it was cast under pressure.

Painting the MDF is what I am doing now. The problem I have found with MDF is when you are carving small text, the insode of the "O", "B", etc tends to flake off. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. (I use a Porter Cable router.)

Mylar sounds interesting. I will have to investigate prices and local availability.

I had some labels made for the knobs and dials using a laser. They came out crisp but no depth at all. I had the company re-do them by going over the letters twice, better but not really good. They are redoing them again but only under protest. So that isn't really an option.

Neil

What about Masonite? It's harder and more fine-grained than MDF, but shouldn't be a problem to machine on your equipment. The tempered Masonite is more impervious, but there are some issues with how it takes paint.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com