587,424 active members*
3,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

I suck at TurboCAD

Ok, I like to consider myself to be fairly smart. Neither of the on-line tutorials for beginners works so I have been referencing the manual and going on my slight memory of working with older cad systems...like 10 years ago.

I've figured out how to place objects and rotate etc... that's no problem. I'm having trouble adding points after exploding and extruding an existing object.

Lets say I connected up 6 lines, I group them as one object then want to extrude them to become a 3D object .375" in depth. I can't figure out the method to do this. I've tried playing with the extrusion tool but can't get it to do anything except place an x on the screen. I also tried a different approach where I placed a box and sized it appropriately making it .375 thick but now I need to place new points in the box to change the shape then move the two points face and back in the same motion so the front and back remain the same shape.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that takes you through the basic steps on up? I'm dying here (chair)

I took a peek in the TurboCAD/CAM discussion but there ain't much going on over there.

Thanks!

Turbocad Sucks it's not YOU:

Turbocad is the hardest and most difficult CAD package that I have EVER seen. That is why I have a new copy of AUTOCAD sitting here to be installed on my machine.

In my opinion, throw the Turbocad out the door, and find something else as a cad package. You can sometimes do something once in TC, and try to do it again in a drawing and it will not work. I have had to perform a function, save the file, exit the drawing, re-enter the drawing in order to get the same function to work a second time.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Lets say I connected up 6 lines, I group them as one object then want to extrude them to become a 3D object .375" in depth. I can't figure out the method to do this. I've tried playing with the extrusion tool but can't get it to do anything except place an x on the screen.
    Thanks!

Is the help file any good? Look up the extrude command and see if it has any info.
    I don't use TurboCAD, but in AutoCAD, you can extrude a "group" of objects. Only single closed objects. Try to find a way to join them together into a single object before extruding.

I also tried a different approach where I placed a box and sized it appropriately making it .375 thick but now I need to place new points in the box to change the shape then move the two points face and back in the same motion so the front and back remain the same shape.
    I would say that it's very unlikely that TurboCAD can do this. I believe TurboCAD uses the ACIS modeling kernel and I don't think you can add points to a solid, because it technically doesn't have points (although it may look like it does.) I think the extude is the way you want to go.

Here are some tutorials.

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/tu.../tutorials.htm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

On my turbocad when I go to do a boolean subtraction or addition it sometimes work and some time it is discarded. That is why I want Auto CAD.
    cadfish
    http://www.burgiengineers.com/

Great! I just bought TurboCAD he he. Oh well....I only paid $26.00 on ebay. I suppose I'll need to find a better package. The manual is large but not very helpful. It really doesn't tell you how to use anything, it just tells you what they do, not actually how to do it.

THanks for the link ger21, I did indeed see those tutorials but unfortunately they assume you have experienc with TurboCAD to begin with. Is AutoCAD the package to get? I'm really limited on budget, is there a version that is good but cheap on ebay or used or something?

Thanks.

Darren

http://www.thecadstore.com/

I heard about this site in my drafting class
    cadfish
    http://www.burgiengineers.com/

The link doesn't seem to work... does it work for you? It seems the database server is throwing exceptions.

I'd personally try DesignCAD. It's what I used before we got AutoCAD at work. When I used it, it was infinately easier to learn than the copy of TurboCAD we had at the time. It's currently sold by the same people (IMSI), but was developed by others. I think IMSI is the 3rd or 4th owner of it. Try the demo and see. It's very easy to use.

The only cheap AutoCAD is LT, which is still $500 and no 3D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks, I'll give DesignCAD a try... downloading it now. Is AutoCAD just not great quality or something? It seems limited in functionality. Maybe it's just that it is hard to figure out.

Thanks again guys. Keep the suggestions coming.

I really don't know what you guys are moaning about. It is usually user error which causes programs to screw up isn't it?!
    Darren, nobody said CAD was easy, you just gotta stick at it. I drew this yesterday, believe it or not, with Turbocad 10.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tester.jpg  

Is AutoCAD just not great quality or something? It seems limited in functionality. Maybe it's just that it is hard to figure out.
    Imo, AutoCAD is awesome. That comes at a price. It's not hard to use, it's just that there are so many different ways to do things, and so many things it can do. I've been using AutoCAD on a daily basis for about 7 or 8 years, and I still learn new stuff all the time. And I consider myself a very skilled user. AutoCAD LT is a "light" version with less features.

Like I said, I used to use DesignCAD. Although the newest version of DesignCAD has a lot of similar features to AutoCAD, it can't compare when it comes to stability, speed, customization, and a lot of other areas
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Kong,

I sure wish I had a tutorial to get me started. I have TurboCAD Deluxe 10 and have no way to really learn. The manual tells you what things do but doesn't tell you how to do them. The extrusion tool doesn't seem to work, I've joined 6 lines to form a plane, grouped them, then tried to extrude and can't get it to do anything. The features I need seem to be there, I just can't get any of them to work. I used to use old 2D cad systems 10-15 years ago but they were dos based and I only used keyboard commands and a tablet/pointer. I'm very rusty. A tutorial of basic operations would be wonderful but the ones on the TurboCAD site don't work.

I downloaded DesignCAD and got much further with it but it seems a bit limited. It might just be me. I was able to extrude but it seems a but cumbersome to place and rotate objects. I don't see a xpos, ypos, and zpos anywhere. Maybe I just missed it. I'm going to try and play some more today with both.

Hi Darren, Turbocad needs a closed polyline in order to extrude it. Make a simple box using the box tool, right click on it and choose properties, in the dialog go to the 3d section and enter a thickness in the box. Hopefully you should now have a 3d part.

With the example you mentioned, don't use "group" to join the lines together. Once you have selected all the lines you want, choose "modify" from the menu, then choose "join polyline". Now as long as all your lines are highlighted, click on the finnish icon towards the bottom of the screen, looks like a checquered flag. Providing all of your lines were touching, they shold now be one big polyline. You can now use the extrude tool (viewing the drawing from a perspective view helps) or use the thickness tool in the object properties like I explained earlier. Like Gerry said, Autocad may be easier, but for the cost, I don't hink you can beat TC for features.

Hi Kong,

Strike what I said below. I figured it out. I made my initial object from separate single lines, not using the polyline tool. I used the polyline tool and it worked fine. Is there a way to do it by joining 4 separate lines?

I was able to extrude a rectangle easily enough but when I join polylines and click finish I right click the object and hit properties but the Thickness in 3D properties is greyed out. All my lines are connected as far as I can tell. Any ideas? It doesn't give me an error or anything. This is great though, I'm finally getting somewhere. I just need to figure out this polyline/extrusion thing.

Nope, they can't be touching. Perhaps they are out by 0.001mm, but you don't know. Explode the polyline back into single lines, then delete one line at a time. As you delete one line, replace it using the vertex snaps. This will ensure each line starts and finnishes at the end of the next/previous line. Hopefully then you will be able to use the properties button.

You shouldbe able to use the extrude function though, although you will create a hollow surface, rather than a solid object. Just gotta view the thing from a perspective to see the extrude working.

Thanks a bunch kong and everyone else. I'm getting the hang of it now. Just had to break past the initial hurdles. I'm actually making some progress in TurboCAD so I think I'll use it for now and see how well it works out for me.

Thanks again.

Darren,
    Register your version and you will begin to receive upgrade and package offers. I agree that TC is a PITA to use but can't afford Solidworks or Autocad anything. It does work however, well enough to be very good for stl and all the other formats. The 2D and 3D training programs are pretty good they offer on their web site.
    I'm using TC Pro V11.1 that I got for 199.95 with the platinum upgrade (no cost phone support, 2D training, 3D training, constraint manager training and symbols library). I haggled with the sales rep a little to upgrade to the platinum package - no charge. This package would have been well over $1k on their web site.
    I have not found any painless CAD programs, everyone I have asked indicates 6 months of daily use to become good enough to be useful.

This was the offer info:
    1-800-810-5939 and reference code 192478. With its advanced capabilities and low introductory price, TurboCAD Professional Version 11.1 is the best value in CAD. This special, limited-time offer ends June 30, 2005

Thanks carlnpa, I have registered it and will see what comes

Hey, if I post a dxf is that all that is needed for people to see what I've done so far? I've made great progress in the last few hours with TurboCAD.

Buy Tutorials Online?

I bought tutorials online for TurboCAD. There was no way I could figure it out on my own. I don't know if it's better or worse than other programs. I just know it has its own peculiarities. Taking the time to follow the tutorials step by step made all the difference for me.

Yes Darren, post that DXF!

Page 1 of 2 12